1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK NEO 210 - lamps in internals?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassmaniac60, Oct 9, 2013.

1. I just took the back panel of my Neo 210 the old wedge cab and found 2 12volt 15watt interior car lamps in slots (like fuses) both were blown. Does anyone know why GK use these lamps is it for current limiting for the crossover? I was getting a weird sort of high pitched rustling or like static in the woofers when I played a note and realised my horn was not working - I hope replacing the lamps will solve the problem. The woofers are still OK not blown.

Any comments or experience with this? I wrote to GK but nothing back yet.

2. Hi.

The lamps act as simple tweeter protection in simple circuits, or as non-linear resistors in more advanced ones.

Replace with exactly the same kind of lamp unless the manufacturer advices otherwise.

Regards
    Sam

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I bought replacement lamp fuses from GK. Had to buy 5 to meet the minimum order amount. Could not find them anywhere else. Also, check with a magnifying glass to see if they are truly blown. I thought mine were, and they sorta looked blown but I put them back in and re-seated them securely and they were fine. At least I have spares in case they do blow!

4. remainthesame

remainthesame

Sep 24, 2008
    I've had this experience. Unfortunately you have to go directly through GK, buy twice as many as you need to meet the minimum $ amount for delivery. And then you pay twice as much for shipping than you did on the lamps themselves. I'm not knocking GK by any means, I love their products. I've always had a pleasant experience when talking to them, but this was the one thing I wasn't too pleased with.

But it will fix your problem and you will have a backup pair if you ever need them again.

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I just get 12v lightbulbs from an autoparts store....they work fine.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    The lamps may help your tweeter (or not depending on how quickly they burnt out)...but it probably won't have any effect on your rustling woofer.

7. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Regards to that "rustling" sound coming from your woofers, just keep in mind that unless the woofers themselves have a voice coil thats rubbing, or a loose spider, then check other parts of your signal chain.

If your tweeter was blown and you didn't notice it, I wonder if you aren't noticing other things like a dirty pot on your bass, for example. So check everything is what I'm saying.

If your fuses are blown then the cabinet was getting a lot of current. If it's a GK head, then it's possible that high frequency distortion was the culprit.

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    It's possible one of the lamps didn't blow but the tweeter did, could be getting some scrstchy sound from that. Or hearing what the top of the woofer sounds like without the tweeter. Or if he hit it hard enough to take out some HF stuff, one of the woofer coiks coukd've gotten hot enough to get out of shape and rub a little.

Just saying there could be other issues aside from the bulbs. They help a lot with protection but nothing is completely failsafe.

I've lost a couple tweeters before from some big snap or crack going through the system that the bulbs coukdn't heat up fast enough to stop. It still "got through".

Anyway, start with replacing the bulbs and go from there. You just need 12v, 15 watt bulbs, they don't have to come from GK if you can find them elsewhere.

9. Thanks for the replies, yeh I can get em for $1.00 each in Australia from motor electronics shop - they are out so I have to wait a week.
    I didn't notice the tweeter as I wind the treble off so I only noticed it when I cranked tweeter back up! No its not the signal chain - I tried each of my 100rb heads bi-amped and full range and a EA iAmp500 and both woofers have this sound - I never really run the cab that loud either - has anybody else experienced this with GK Neo's?

10. By the way I believe those lamps are 28 volt lamps.

11. You are correct, I verified 12V 15W. :)

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

You can probably use a higher wattage bulb. All it'll do is light up brighter.

13. Hi.

Nope.

Depending on the circuit, it will either start reducing wattage to the tweeter sooner, or later.
    Neither is very desirable, especially the latter.

IMO anyway.

Regards
    Sam

14. Hi.

IIRC those were used in another (GK?) tweeter protection circuit.
    At least I remember a lenghty thread about the subject where the manufacturers rep. said that in order for the circuit to work as planned, the correct "lamp" has to be used.

The lamp is chosen for the behaviour and characteristics of the filament, so that is the deciding factor, the voltage/wattage of the lamp just come with the package.

Regards
    Sam

15. Yes and if not chosen properly the tweeter will burn out before the lamps. It is simple only when using the proper device.

16. OK I found some from the GK dealer in Australia - I have 12v 10watts in place at the moment so I can use the cab AND it fixed the static rustling issue!
    Apparently when these lamps blow they cause some issues at times with the sound of the cab. So all in all an interesting experience. Thanks for the input

Aim Low - Play Bass