1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK NEO410 mid-gig impressions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowendgenerator, May 27, 2011.

1. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    First set in a 4 set night. Having a bit of a hard time dialing my sound in. The tone was reminiscent of wet blanket until I pulled my TU-2 out of the line. Dead battery perhaps, but it seemed to give me more sustain and life. Could be the battery in the bass too. Gonna try a different bass next set.

Fender MIM deluxe
    GK 1001RBII biamped
    NEO410

2. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Second set break. I'm thinking it might be the room. I've never had a good sound here now that I think about it. These are not proper test conditions.

3. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    3rd set break. Turns out it was the bass. Glad I brought a spare. Those single pole pickups in my 2000 MIM deluxe just ain't cutting it. The "Noiseless" pups in my 2008 are doing a much better job of laying down the fundamental.

4. pedulla1

pedulla1

May 14, 2005
    NYC
    Wow! This man is dedicated to the cause for us TBers. great job. I had a GK 410 Neo but never gigged it. It sure sounded great in my living room.

5. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Home now. It was partially the bass, but I think a lot of factors went into tonights public meltdown.

The room sucked.
    The stage was hollow and vibrated like mad.
    My bass tone sucked.
    It was my maiden voyage with a strange new cab.

IDK. I need a few days to decide whether or not this cab was worth the ridiculous coin I spent on it, or if I should start looking at the classifieds for something used.

6. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    very cool!!
    live blog from a gig

sorry I have no experience with that cab so can't give any suggestion
    but I enjoy reading these posts

7. bugsy

bugsy

May 21, 2010
    did you do a sound check before you started playing?

8. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Yes, I tweaked it for a few minutes before we started. It was a small Irish bar, with a 6" tall stage tucked in the corner. I just made sure everything was functional and that my levels were good. It wasnt until the band kicked in full force that things started to sound amiss.

9. Ozzey

Ozzey

Nov 23, 2008
    Hey man, I've got a NEO410 as well, so it's great to be able to see opinions from someone who is also trying to use it for gigging. I find it works amazingly in small to medium sized rooms, but after that, you may need some help from a PA system or another cab. If I didn't want a new bass so badly this summer, I would get a second 410 to increase my sound. I've found that rolling back the bass, boosting the low mids a bit, and fiddling with your treble/high mid controls really helps to give the tone some punch with a nice wooden bite as well. Of course, it depends on the bass, but tell us some of your findings! I would be very interested in seeing what you think.

10. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Just my own experience... but... I've made always putting an Auralex foam pad underneath my cabs a standard part of my setup. I know they'll be folks who'll have other thoughts, but I play out a lot. And I walk into different room situations. With everything that can change/be different/go wrong... I'm simply trying to level the playing field as much as I can. And putting the pad underneath my cabs has always helped clear up my tone when I set up on a hollow stage that would otherwise add "mud and boom" to the sound. Just my $.02.

11. bugsy

bugsy

May 21, 2010
    That's not a sound check
    If you Are doing 3 sets then I take it your the only band, so you had plenty of time to sound check
    You should alway check you sound with full band.
    You have found out the hard way

12. I too have a NEO410 and a 1001RB-II. I find it to have a deep low end, and a little mid-scooped. I just picked up a NEO212 as well, and find that the two complement each other very well. The 212 seems to have more of a midrange-aggresiveness to it, so with both, the sound is fat, while being punchy. I run the horns off on the cabs, and the tweeter knob all the way down on the amp. It seems to be working well. If I were only going to be running one cab though, it would probably be the 410 due to it sounding fuller by itself IMO. I play a passive Am. Std. Jazz.

13. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    The first song IS the soundcheck at 90% our gigs. We've done this enough to know roughly where we need to be and what we need to be doing. The only thing we check thoroughly is the vocals/PA, everything else is on the fly.

Why? A few reasons. The owners don't want the band to show up before 8pm. Half these places are restaurants during the day. Also, because songs cost $.75 on the jukebox, and I don't need the customers getting pissed off because we played all over their picks. Besides, 30 minutes of a band pretentiously fiddling knobs at gig volume will drive people out of a bar faster than tear gas.

Now if we had the bar to ourselves for an hour, I would GLADLY do a full soundcheck, but let's face it. We don't live in a perfect world.

Thanks for the input though. From all of you. :bassist:

14. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    That sounds like a fair assessment of the 410. I was having a hard time reigning in the ultra-lows, and I think that might have been part of my problem. I love being full and dubby on the bottom end, and ZERO highs, but this cab seemed to do that TOO well lol. I'm gonna play with it more before I throw in the towel.

If it helps, I'm used to gigging with an Ampeg 810 or a 1970s Acoustic 301/370. Both big, wooly, huge sounding rigs.