1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

gk or ampeg ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by *ebmm_player*, Jul 25, 2007.

1. *ebmm_player*

*ebmm_player*

Jul 15, 2007
    im stuck between a gk 1001 - rb ii head with a 410 rbh cab
    or an ampeg head (dont have a clue which one to get yet) with an ampeg svt 410 hlf
    i want good tone and no fuzzy sounds and i want the amp to be good for slap bass and funk/rock and maybe some metal.
    any advice please ?

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Ampeg 450H

But I just switched to GK. So I am a little biased.

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Sounds like GK would be better for you than Ampeg based on what you claim your style of music to be.

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    The GK 1001RB-II delivers plenty of power and headroom for loud clean tones, and can even get some growl or overdrive if you crank the Boost high enough.

Based on your style of music and needs, I think GK would be the better option. Plus, the 410RBH is ported, which is a plus for deeper, cleaner bottom end.

5. 0utlier

0utlier

Feb 21, 2006
    Hattiesburg, MS
    How about a GK 1001 RBII head and an ampeg cabinet?

[​IMG]

6. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    Any reason why you can't mix and match?

I've got a GK 1001-RB II and am playing through an Ampeg 610HLE... Sounds great!

I agree, you probably are better off going with the GK head though... just don't limit yourself to only the GK cabinets.

7. *ebmm_player*

*ebmm_player*

Jul 15, 2007
    well i have never thought a bout mix and match to be fair...seemed a bit to complicated??

8. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    What's complicated about it? :confused:

9. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Mixing-and-matching heads and cabinets from different brands is wrong... it's like you're sleeping with the secretaries of competing businesses :ninja:

In all seriousness, nothing's really wrong with it. For a lot of people, it's an aesthetic thing. For me (100% GK), it's a sound thing. :smug:

...and an aesthetic thing, too :ninja:

10. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    What's complicated about it?

You plug the amp into the cab, flip the switch and play, doesn't matter what brand it is...

Also, you'll like the Stingray sound through the GK head with whatever cab you choose.

I'm playing with a MM SUB 5, which is a lot like a 4 string Stingray.

11. *ebmm_player*

*ebmm_player*

Jul 15, 2007
    i do suppose i could mix and match,would you say it would sound better to use the gk 1001 head and the ampeg cab,or maybe a different cab ?

12. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    I just bought a SVT4 Pro and running it through 2-aggie gs112 and 1-berg ht210. I can dial in some nice clean slap tone or dirty it up a little. Plus in bridged mode I get 1600 watts.

13. Col200

Col200

Feb 18, 2007
    I was running my GK1001rbII through an Ampeg 210/115 SVT rig and it was pretty awesome sounding. It was a huge sound. I've recently moved to jazz/fusion and don't need the big sound of the Ampeg anymore. I got a Dr. Bass bl210 "airhead" and now have a tight little 'combo' with my GK head.

14. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    When I was looking to make my purchase, I was set on the GK head after trying it out at Guitar Center. All they had on hand there were the GK Backline cabs (among others). I really wanted to try the GK Neo line, but couldn't find any in my area. I wasn't impressed with the GK backline cabs and was looking to purchase an Avatar 212 and 210 based on what I read on here. I never got to try the Avatar stuff, but was ready to make the purchase based solely on what I read.

Before ordering though, I saw an Ampeg 610 on Craigslist for less than what the Avatar 212 and 210 would have cost me. I went to try it out, and it sounded great. I figured even if the Avatar stuff was better (hard to beat an Ampeg cabinet though), it wouldn't have been worth the extra money, so I went with the Ampeg cab.

The key is to try out a few options and see what you like... If you have a Guitar Center in your area, they're bound to have the GK head and Ampeg cabinets available to try out. If they really want to make a sale that day, they'll hook everything up for you so you can try it out.

If you're looking to buy... I say see what you can find used... If you can't find a GK head used, rmcaudio.com has the best prices (sometimes better than used from what I found when I was looking).

Also, if you're interested, read about Avatar cabinets on here, or check out their website: http://www.avatarspeakers.com

15. *ebmm_player*

*ebmm_player*

Jul 15, 2007
    well i think i am deffinately going to get the gk 1001-rb ii so i think after i order that i might shop around a bit for the cab and perhaps look for some shops that sell a wide range of cabs and maybe see if i could take my gk head in with me and try them out and then i could see what is really the best sounding cab for my personal preference.

16. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    Sounds like the same boat I was in, and a wise choice...

:bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

17. *ebmm_player*

*ebmm_player*

Jul 15, 2007
    thanks for all the help everone:) :) :)

:bassist:

18. RBasss

RBasss

Dec 13, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    East Coast Sales Coordinator - Crafter Guitars
    That looks like my old setup! I ended up ditching the rack and going all tube through the Ampeg 810. I liked the GK head a lot though, and it would probably go well with what you're doing.

19. ampeg gets the girls

20. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV

My Aguilar GS410 gets the growls.