1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK OWNERS!! GK 700rb Rackmounting Problems??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by flea claypool, Sep 23, 2008.

1. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    I am intending to purchase a GK rb700 head to go along with my Avatar b2x12 neo in the next few weeks (man im buying so much lately) the only thing is i tend to gig alot in places that could be 30mins to 3 hours drive away so i reckon im gonna get a SKB case for it.. the only thing which i assume is a problem (im probably wrong) is the cooling fan is on the top of the unit?? will that prove to be a problem?? :meh:

2. ElvisBass

ElvisBass

Jul 28, 2008
    I give mine about a half inch of space on the top as it does get hot pretty quick. Get a 4 to 6 space case (depending on what other rack units you have or intend to purchase) and keep the amp unit on the bottom with one space in between the next. Enjoy, good amp.

3. danweb22

danweb22

Mar 16, 2008
    Kent, UK
    I have my 700rb at the bottom with a Korg DTR2000 directly above it but the Korg only covers the first 10mm of the fan. I havent had any problems with cooling.

4. KPAX

KPAX Banned

Mar 22, 2005
    You know, I had a 700RBII and a 1001RBII together in an SKB 4-space rack case for two years and 130+ gigs and never had a problem with restricted air flow causing a thermal shutdown or any other ill effect. They never ran that hot. At some gigs I ran both amps (but usually just one). One amp was right on top of the other (had to remove the rubber feet from the top amp) so the bottom amp in particular had only a small gap (1/2 inch?) above the bottom amp's fan grating. When I first put them in that case I figured I'd keep an eye on the situation and watch for any bad effect but never had any. With the back of the case open during gigs I guess they got plenty of airflow. If anything, those amps proved reliable to me.

5. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    yeah ive heard of people racking with no space above it, but on the manual it clearly states that you should leave at least 1/2" above it for airflow.
    i keep mine in a 4-space with 1 space between it and my power conditioner. i'm kinda paranoid about it.

6. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    if you have a 3 or 4 space, you'll be okay. i wouldn't put it in a 2 space, although some have. i think for the 1001rb, you can use a shallower rack. do some measuring.

i keep my 1001bII in a 4 space (by itself), and the head looks almost about the same as the day i got it. it has never overheated.

just check after a few gigs if all the screws are tight and the amp is dust/ash free (for those of us who play in bars and outside).

i also keep my 800rb in a 4 space rack. the rack ears provided don't exactely line up with the rack, and i think i have to use 2 screws instead of 4, but no problems so far.

7. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    I have 700rbII racked in a carpeted 2 space
    wood case,cut a hole in the top,looks clean
    nice fit and cheap..

8. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I put a 1001 in a skb roto-x rack (made for effects), and it fit fine. Gorilla makes a shallow one as well. I never had heat problems, but you could get a sharp drill bit and make a few holes in the case for the air to escape from. It's fan driven, so as long as the fan isn't covered, it should stay cool enough.
    Wes

9. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I just got a two space SKB case like Wes has yesterday for my 1001RB-II and it seems like there is enough room above for the amp to cool. It's at least 1/2" even with the indented X part of the top. They are shallow but still have enough room to plug and unplug the speakons and power cord. Very nice case for the GK heads.

10. skiscem

skiscem Supporting Member

i have the 1001 rb (same chassis) on a 5 space rack, i left one empty space on top and i place and vented cover for that space, it looks neat and keep the amp fresh, dont risk it, you might have no problem leaving no space, but what if...

11. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Me three. The SKB 2-space Roto-X Shallow has enough room to let it breathe.