1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK speakon...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockman, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    So i bought the 1001 rbII, and Avatar 210, and a speakon cable. I'm sure this has been asked before, but i couldn't find it, will a normal speakon cable be able to connect the two fine, it a two pin from bayou, neutrik jacks.

2. RBasss

RBasss

Dec 13, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    East Coast Sales Coordinator - Crafter Guitars
    Yes this will work fine, you just will not be able to control the tweeter separately from the amp. Read the GK manual it explains this pretty well.

3. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    Ok thanks, i havent gotten it yet though, thats why im asking, but thanks a bunch.

4. I don't know how much real benefit there'd be, but, if it were me, I'd mod that cab for 4-wire Speakon/bi-amp.

5. didier

didier

Aug 4, 2005
    NC
    You'd probably find out that there's not much real benefit. It's a fun exercise, though

6. Paulitics

Paulitics

Apr 12, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I think if you are going for a overdriven sound there might be a benefit since you could run the drivers with a lot of boost and keep the horn clean. But then again I think some people like the sound of the horn to be distorted too.

7. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    FYI, I have noticed that Carvin lists 4 wire Speakon cables in their catalog. That, or make your own - it's a trivial exercise at best.

I run mine bi-amp, and there IS a difference, and I feel the difference is worth the $10 or so that it would cost you to make up a cable . . . .

- Tim

8. You would need to modify the cabinet to use the horn bi-amp feature so I would recommend just going with a standard two pin speakon cable.

9. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Also a mind-numbingly simple thing to do, if you want to . . . . simply wire the tweeter to 2+/2- on the speakon (disconnect it from the crossover, or add a switch) and you are done. Most likely no new holes or changes - should be totally restorable to stock if you should decide to sell.

- Tim