1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Glock and Aguilar users, I need your help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by L.G.Davies, Apr 29, 2009.

1. L.G.Davies

L.G.Davies

Feb 13, 2008
    Hi guys.

I have narrowed my new amp purchases down to two choices, an Aguilar DB750 and a Glockenklang Heart Rock.

I am currently using a Sadowsky SA410 Cabinet and bass wise, a NYC Sadowsky 24-Fret 5-String (picture attached, just for fun) and a 1987 Warwick streamer 4-string.

I play mainly with loud guitar players who use Mesa and Marshall stacks, so I always aim to have a sound that cuts through the mix and I can hear with clarity. I have tried the Glock and was impressed with the clear sound. But I am unsure whether this amp is suited to loud rock bands.

I haven't actually tried the Aguilar, but I have heard tonnes of good things about it. I think the Aguilar might suit my sadowsky/sadowsky combination a bit better as well.

I will have the money soon. I live in Australia and price wise, the Aguilar will cost me about $400-500 more than the Glock.

I am still unsure which way to go. Any suggestions?

2. L.G.Davies

L.G.Davies

Feb 13, 2008
    Sadowsky picture attached this time :p

Attached Files:

• sad.jpg
      File size:
      15.1 KB
      Views:
  3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    i love love love love love love love the 750 + sa410 combo. just sheer tight, fat, thick PUNCH. i've not had alot of time w/ a heartrock, but the 750 is quite the grunty amp. it wont produce pristine clear sounds, but it'll be a rock 'n roll machine.

gorgeous sadowsky btw...

4. I have a Glockenklang (Soul) and know the DB750. I'd say both are fine for what you want (cut through loud guitar players). The Glockenklang is cleaner and tighter, the Aguilar is fatter. I find that the Aguilar is not so good when playing on low levels (like in your living room), because the ventilator hums like crazy and the amp for some reason want to play LOUD.

The Glockenklang is better on low levels and has a very quiet ventilator and is ligher in weight. And on both low and high levels it has that very nice Glock sound!

However, if you want that mega fat Aguilar tone, you must have the DB750!

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

HeartRock all the way here. It actually has more low end ooomph than the DB750, almost as much warmth down low, but SO much more control of the mids and top end (and low end for that matter).

It does 85% of what the DB750 guys love (fat and warm), but SO much more in every other way. I had an HR for a while, and didn't really dig it with the more widely voiced cabs I had at the time. However, with the SA410, it should sound amazing.

Remember that the HeartRock (and Soul) is meant to bloom and growl a bit down low (versus other Glock models that are meant to be totally clean and pure).

The only downside I can see is that the HR is only 'safe' down to 2.67 ohms (versus full 2ohm performance for the DB750). So, with the HR, you wouldn't be able to add a second SA410 if you choose to do so down the road (and could even find one).

However, since you don't have your profile filled in, I'm not sure where you are located. From what I understand, the Glock line of products are no longer available in the US.

Edit: If you are in the US, I would also strongly consider the Carvin B1500, which I prefer to both the Glock and the Aguilar.

6. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    OP is in Australia, and I think there are still Glockenklang dealers there. [BTW, I heard that Glock does not plan to permanently exit the US market, they are just trying to find a new distributor.]

PetePalmieri uses the HR/SA410 combination and has given glowing reviews of the pairing. You can pm him and get more detail... He also loves this combo for Double Bass.

Your SA410 would be enough for most of your gigs, I would think. But if you're into blowing out windows, then there is always the Glock 6-Box, which comes in 2.67 and 5.33 ohm versions. You could use a single 2.67 to utilize the full 1000 watts from the HR, or a pair of 5.33s and also blow off the doors.

Jim

7. basmartin

basmartin

Aug 6, 2007
    Sweden
    I can imagine why anybody would want a louder amp than a DB750. I havenĀ“t tried the Glock, but the DB750 is as good as it gets, IMO.

8. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 to the above. Also, if the OP found a used SA410, he might be able to find an SA210. That combined would be 2.67 ohms, and should kill pretty hard with the HR for the very big gigs.

9. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I'm a recent convert to the DB750. I no longer fear my lead guitar player's Mesa Stereo Rectum-fryer rig, and can totally bury our rhythm guitar player's Fender Twin. I'm running Aggie cabs (DB210 8ohm for rehearsals and small clubs, DB410 4ohm when I need to maim small animals) and love the way my sound sits in the mix for rock and country. I'm sure the Glock stuff is great, but the DB750 sure puts a big stupid grin on my face.

10. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    +1

11. + 1
    I agree. I have a Glock Heart Rock with an AE410 and it is the best Led sled amp to go with a tightly voiced cab like the SA410 or AE410. I've also tried the DB750 at the time and did not like the lack of control I had over the sound. The Heart Rock is extremely flexible and can overdrive and growl very nicely in a natural type of way. Smooth breakup with the "overdrive" control at the Input. This amp rocks really hard but will do everything else just as well. Definitely not a "one trick pony" as I felt the DB750 was. For a really big set-up I would add a 8 ohms Berg HS210 which is basically the SA210 and the Glock will drive that 2.67 ohms stack very nicely without a sweat.

Don't know about the Aggy being $400-$500 more expensive than the Glock Heart Rock. Last time I looked it seemed more like $1000-$1500 more than the Heart Rock.

Hope this helps our fellow aussie TB'er.

12. joelyb

joelyb

Feb 1, 2007
    sydney australia
    I have a 750 and I havent heard an amp that even comes close IMO.

If you want to be heard this is the amp. You have a feeling of never running out of headroom with this bad boy.

I have used mine with a few different sadowsky basses and the amp lets the bass shine big time.A great match

jb

13. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    These heads are both great but sound different. If you listen to them both you will have a preference and your dilema will be solved.

If you have an interest in a second SA410 then you check out the one for sale here on TB:
    http://talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=529013

14. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 Unfortunately, for virtually all of us, the probability of hearing both a Heartrock and DB750 at all prior to purchase, much less side by side, much less side by side with the bass and cabinet of choice, is almost zero. I don't think I've been able to try anything prior to purchase that I've acquired over the last few years.

Hence, unfortunately, most of us have to at least partially rely on descriptions (hopefully relatively accurate), specs, and opinions of fellow TBers:)

15. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Sad, but true:crying: I guess I was just reacting to different posters having such strong affinity to each of these. Neither camp is wrong, just different. The OP will have a preference, just like the these posters, as soon as he can hear the two amps. I too have found TB descriptions very helpful.

Jim