Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Glue or Double Sided Tape?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by garron, Sep 26, 2003.

1. garron

garron

Jun 26, 2003
    Washington, DC
    I've got a Fishman BP-100, and I've read that glue or double-sided tape can be used in lieu of the clips. Which method is better, glue or tape?And is where is the best place on the bridge to use it? Thanks in advance?

garron

2. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Don't know anything about the pickup, but I say try the tape first. If it doesn't work out, you haven't icked anything up too much.

You can get double-sided tape at any hardware store. Look for carpet tape in the flooring section if you can't find anything among the masking tapes and whatnot.

3. garron

garron

Jun 26, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Yeah, probably a good idea. That way I can experiment more with placement.

-One more question for everyone. Would it make a difference to use regular electrical tape (or something similar) to tape the elements down to the bridge? Why double-sided tape?

4. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    double sided tape will be much cleaner..... you can always go back and take it off and try again if need be

5. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Double-sided because:

1) tape gets stuck to surface;
    2) thing gets stuck to tape.

Nice and neat. Just a small piece should do the job.

DON'T use electrician's tape. The glue on that stuff is especially tacky and not very sticky, if that makes any sense. It won't last and it will look like hell.

6. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    The double-sided tape should be as thin as possible (obviously). I used a thin, soft, transparent tape from 3M. I placed the discs a little further away from the strings than is possible with the metal clips, to get less finger noise.

7. garron

garron

Jun 26, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Thanks. I picked up the d/s tape, so I'll experiment with it and see what happens.

8. Yes Garron,
    You're on the right track, I can tell you from experience, as I am a Vinyl/Carpet Layer in my every day GIG! and the music is the hobbie!
    I have 2 basses and have a Fishman on one of my basses and, also Bob's K & K DBT on 2 basses with an underwood and Bass Max.... What I did was use the Double Sided tape to find the correct position for ALL pick-ups and when the G-Spot was found I then marked the areas with a Pencil. I removed the tape from the pick-ups and applied a thin layer of Contact adhesive with a cotton bud. ( you apply the Contact to BOTH surfaces and let go touch dry ) then I simply drop in place of pencil marks.
    If you apply a THIN film of Contact you can at any time remove the dics WITH CARE and replace as needed. I have done this a number of times when I have changed bridges on the bass.
    The Clip method from Fishman is HOPELESS, and when you compare the response from the clip method to the contact method, the volume from ALL the pick-ups is a lot GREATER when Contacted to the bridge.
    Hope this is of help!:)

9. I used the double stick tape to attach the Fishman elements to the top of my bass (right at the bridge feet). I like the tone, much more wood and not much finger noise. I have a Strunal though, the finish isn't the same as a 19th century bass, you may want to consider that.
    Good luck,
    Mike

10. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    you can also get those file clips for paper, the little black ones with chrome handles. those work pretty well.