1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Godin Shifter Classic versus Yamaha BB424

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Richard43, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Richard43

Richard43

Nov 2, 2007
    Hi, I am looking to add a non-Fender PJ style bass to my Fenders (Jazz, Precision and Kingman) and I have narrowed my search down to a new Godin Shifter Classic and a new Yamaha BB424 so I am looking for some input as I can't find a local store where I can try both. As usual I welcome any opinions you may have on these basses.

Thanks,
    Richard

2. filler83

filler83

Jan 5, 2015
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm curious to comparison and input, too!

I have actually played both, but would like others' input as well.

I thought both played very well. Yamaha is a good price/value. Tone knob has wide range of sounds, along with both pickips. Godin fit and finish were amazing. Slightly thinner neck - like a jazz. Amazing neck. I only played two Godin shifter classes that were used at Guitar center - they played well, but I thought the electronics were loud and boomy - both - I don't know if that is normal, or if they just needed a set up. I asked that question in a Godin thread a few months ago, and never got a response.

Based on my experience, I thought Yamaha sounded better, but Godin had better fit/finish and playability. If I could try a new, pro set up Godin and it sounded better than my experience above, then I would pick the Godin.

3. Richard43

Richard43

Nov 2, 2007
    Unfortunately I have not been able to try either and I would have to order one in order to do so. I really want to like the Godin as it is Canadian made but the Yamaha more reviews and they are quite positive. I also like the sounds of the Yamaha 734a but again I can't find one in a store. Hopefully we can get some feedback from someone who has played both fairly extensively.

4. That's right. Godin reviews are rare. I love the sound and look of the BB but this demo of a Godin seems like it's worth looking at. I'm also wondering how come it has not come to a better status in the bass world.

5. Needenaneden

Needenaneden

Feb 22, 2011
    The Godin is a well built bass with a very comfortable neck. The stock pickups are good and will probably do the job...but...pop in some Geezer EMGs and it will become an incredible bass for the money. Yamaha is a good bass too but I’d choose Godin between the two choices.

6. I own the Yamaha and I'm extremely pleased with it. I paid 330€ and I think it's very nice regardless of the price. I like that it has a 3 way pick up selector switch as in all of my years of playing I have always used full bridge, full neck or both, never any funny 80-20, 65-35 or whatever people use.
    Another thing that I like is that the bridge pick up is very powerful and can be used on its own and not just to add brightness to the P pick up
    One key difference with Fender and similar basses is that when you roll off the volume, the character of the sound remains exactly the same just at less volume, whereas in Fenders you can tame the sparkle by rolling off the volume just a bit. I like both approaches, just thought to mention it.
    Haven't played the Godin.