1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Going back to the basics...anyone else done this?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by glocke1, Dec 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    Ive been playing for a couple of decades now, had tons of lessons, music theory classes, andjazz improve classes (still suck at Jazz also) so have a pretty good understanding of the bass up to what I would say is an intermediate or advanced intermediate level which by and large is good enough for me and the playing situations I find myself in.

I recently signed up for Scotts bass lessons.com, and have been going over some of the lessons there starting with some of the more basic lessons (starting with the major arpeggios course). Have to admit going back and reviewing some of this stuff is refreshing.

Anyone else who has been playing for awhile go back and work on the basics?

2. Torrente Cro

Torrente Cro

Sep 5, 2013
    Croatia
    Sort of, I started learning drums two months ago in hope that it will improve my bass playing.

3. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I've been playing bass since the late 1960s and the older I get the more I understand and appreciate simplicity. Not only for bass lines but for all aspects of life.
    simplicity-equals-sanity.
    upload_2017-12-9_7-11-33.
    picture-id499544604?k=6&m=499544604&s=612x612&w=0&h=94mBS3hd8UqsJwMnV0My4FWMEL_5w4J-lwF-QW61qhE=.

andruca and Torrente Cro like this.
  4. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Everyday. That's why they're called basics. The are the basis of everything you do.

How many times, when a professional sports player or the whole team mess up, do you hear somebody saying, "Well, we've just got to get back to the basics to improve our playing". (and some of those guys make millions)

ryco likes this.
  5. They say it takes at least ten years of intensive study to learn how to be simple.

6. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    All the time. I go back through books all the time. Go as far forward as you can, and then go back to the beginning and build again. In technique, in reading, in theory. Got a Ray Brown method book in the 70s I'm sure I've been through at least 20 times. Rufus Reid's old Evolving Bass prob about the same and Aebersold books so many times I couldn't count. Even grumpy Ed Fuqua's book at least a dozen times. Building, tearing down, and rebuilding. Feels like it makes for a sturdy founation. Never have done video learning, but like to watch sometimes. Esp HaVIC5, Rick Beato, and Remco Hendrix.

Garret Graves likes this.
  7. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Totally! I've been working through major scales in various intervals. The thing is now I have a 6 string bass and a looper so now I do it against looped chords so that I can hear the relationships.

C/S,
    Rev J

8. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    I remember long ago when I thought was "done" learning the major scale.
    Turns out I was wrong.

9. For me it's timing.
    A bass player can never be too good at timing and locking.

10. I know some guitarists who apparently find simplicity too complex to comprehend.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  11. BrotherMister

BrotherMister

Nov 4, 2013
    Scotland
    PVG Membership
    No matter what level you get to, you will never be above the fundamentals.

12. Another "basic" for me is recording myself at times when I'm practicing to tracks and radio etc etc.

Because when practicing I think I'm a smokin' hot player. Then I play it back....and.......waaaaaaay too many notes and the phrasing is incongruous.

13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

every time i pick up the instrument!

who starts a warm-up at 100mph?

14. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    The reason I'm on Scott's is that forty years of playing, I know most of this stuff, but I don't know the theory, or what it's called, or why I do it. So when Scott says Mixolydian, now I know why he is playing it, even tho I do it.
    I really don't know if it has made me a better player, but I enjoy knowing the theory.

15. I am. I went from learning to read music to just finding my way around the bass and jamming with buddies.

Which is a shame. I should stayed with the basics and progressed.

My resolution this year is to work my way slowly and learn to read from a sheet completely and honestly.