1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Golliuhur Music -- Good or Bad Experiences ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by bwanicur, Mar 16, 2009.

1. bwanicur

bwanicur

Mar 16, 2009
    I recently made my first purchase from Golihur music ( www.gollihur.com ). I bought an inexpensive bass bag ( their generic brand ) for around $140 and a Meisel tuner.

The zippers on the bass bag broke after 2 gigs and now my tuner has died in less than 1 month.

I have heard good things about Golihur from other bassists. Has anyone else had similar experiences (bad equipments, etc ... ) from Golihur.

The owner (Bob Golihur) was not apologetic at all about the my defective gear and refused to pay for the shipping for my return. They did refund me for the bass bag... I am not even going to attempt to return the tuner since I know they will not pay for the shipping.

Overall, I get the feeling that Golihur music is a cheap-o store and you get what you pay for.

Cheers

Ben

2. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Sorry to hear it. That kind of thing has never been my experience, not at all.

3. I have nothing but good things to say about Gollihurs. I haven't had any problems with the equipment that I've bought from them, their prices are as good or better than anyone else's and they have the fastest service I've ever seen. I received the UPS shipping notice on one of my orders within 30 minutes of placing the order! They are my go-to bass place for equipment.

mark

4. jweiss

jweiss Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Park City, Utah
    Bob gave me the best price I could find anywhere on a Wizzy10, and delivered it to my house within two days of ordering.

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Nothing but great service for me.

6. john allemond

john allemond Supporting Member

The only thing I have ordered from them was a set of Corelli's, and Bob's son Mark was very helpful on the phone.

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Years of good experience here. A bunch of amps and speakers, prompt service, no problems.

8. Bought a K&K Pure preamp & a DB stand some years ago- no issues. Also asked some Q's re mics- got quite a bit of helpful, free info.

9. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    Always good service with Bob G's, but I will second your concern on the bass bag. Have a student that just bought one a month ago and the zipper's busted. However, a full refund for the bag falls into my definition of great service. Can't help with the tuner though. Take the bag to a luggage repair shop, or apply the refund towards a nicer bag would be my (I know, unsolicited) advice.

10. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Dealt with them a couple of times - a couple of gut string orders and a K&K RAB+. I didn't know diddly about buying strings for a DB at that point (or what to do when I found out the hard way that a wound gut can't hack the winters up here). Mark answered my emails pretty darn quick. Very helpful. The stuff got here fast too.

11. I completely thrashed the green bass bag within a year of nearly nightly gigging, but it was cheap, so...

Ditto the cheapo bass wheel--the tire split within a couple of weeks, but rather than going through the whole shipping/return rigamarole, I just keep heavy taping it and it's lasted three years or more.

Service was fast--I'd consider buying from him again--I'd just go for some higher end $#*+.

12. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    I have never had any problems with any of the purchases made there. Nor have any of my students.

Over the years, the only complaints I have read about on this board are with the "cheaper" bass bags. IME, that is about the only thing you must spend some $$$ on to get good quality. Every, and I mean every, cheap bag I have had was trash in less than a year. Only the Kolstein, Moradian, Kushy, etc... have lasted any amount of time.

YMMV,
    BG

13. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Nothing but stellar service for me from the Gollihurs, for many years.

No dealer I know will pay for returns, for any reason excepting a DOA. Reason being, he doesn't know what kind of treatment the gear has endured since delivery. No accusation pointed to you, but you have to look at their side of it.

My personal experience has been that a bass bag is one item where it never pays to go cheap. You will definitely get what you pay for.

14. Another satisified customer here. I have bought many things from Bob over the years and have never had a bad experience.

As someone else said, a refund for the bag seems to be pretty good service. Was the tuner not under warranty from the manufacturer? It seems to me that the maker, not the seller, would bear responsibility for replacing it.

15. EggyToast

EggyToast

Jan 21, 2006
    Baltimore
    So rather than paying for return shipping, he gave you $140? I'm not seeing where "bad service" came into play here.

Most stores don't pay for return shipping. You must be new to returning stuff through mail-order.

16. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    +1 for nothing but excellent service from Bob and Mark Gollihur over the years. Agree with Mike Childree too that it doesn't pay to buy cheap bass bags, and you get what you pay for.

17. wilsonn

wilsonn

Sep 26, 2005
    New York
    +1 Bob helped me out with a preamp issue long after the warranty expired. I wouldn't be expecting any retailer to pay return shipping on an item. The fact that some do...like Amazon or Zappos...is an exception, not a rule.

And, if you spend any time at all reading posts here, you'll discover that Bob is a huge part of this community and we appreciate him and his business. All hail...

Neal

18. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Same here. Even sent me a loaner preamp once while mine was being repaired. No charge for the loaner, just shipping to and from, which I gladly paid.

Bob took the time to offer me advice via email and phone when I was just starting out. He even talked me out of buying something from him once, because there were better options available for less money. Can't beat that.

19. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Shipping the tuner back would be a bit less than shipping the bass bag. Also, when I've ordered from Bob, I've only had good experiences. I left my Meisel tuner at a rehearsal and that was how I bid farewell to her :(

20. A month ago, I ordered an Acoustic Image amplifier and it arrived THE NEXT DAY (with free shipping to boot).

I've place numerous orders there with nearly flawless results. The only downside I've encountered was, indeed, on a bag -- one the Professional bags that Bob has made for him. The bag itself is top quality. The zippers, though, did not seem to be up to the same standards and both zipper guides have broken during light to moderate use. Next time it happens, I'm going to have better zippers installed at the luggage shop. Even the zippers on my TKL are much heavier duty.

Everyting else I've ordered from Gollihur Music has been just as advertised, delivered quickly and performed flawlessly. Now if only I could do that!