Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gone for two weeks ... Feels like a different bass

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by jazzbassnerd, Jul 12, 2005.

1. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    I took a trip recently (almost two weeks long) and when I came back my instrument felt completely different. During the trip I did play with a band and we rented basses in both cities that we played in. Could I still be "playing the other bass?" Has anyone expierienced something like this before? I've heard of instruments "opening up" is it possible for them to "close up" too?

By the way, I've had the bass for about a year and have been extremely pleased with it until about two days ago. It has pretty much been my dream instrument until now. Thanks for any responce in advance.

2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I've experienced this and heard other players talk about it. I suspect that an instrument doesn't fluctuate nearly as much as the human body does.

3. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Humidity can be a major issue. Right now in the Ohio Valley/east coast the humidity is on the rise big time -- especially considering the remnants of hurricane Dennis floating around. I have noticed slight changes almost daily in how my instrument responds and plays. It basically drives me nuts. Thank goodness for adjustable bridges!

Last year I moved from a dry environment to this relatively humid area. In the summer, the bass expanded so much, the sound post fell right over when I changed strings.

Someday, I tell myself, I'm going to seriously look in to one of those all-graphite basses (like the Quintus) to achieve more consistency from season to season -- and especially when traveling to different areas. Until then...

4. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    I thought about humidity. But, in Southern California we don't get that much of a change in the summer. Thanks to both of you. The more I'm playing it the better it feels so no matter what the "problem" was or wasn't it is getting better. Thanks you guys again.

5. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Takes a little while to get used to huh?

Ron Carter siad in an interview for Bass Player magazie that when he took a few weeks off from concerts, etc., Miles could always tell because his fingers sounded "soft". Ron said it always took him a few sets to get back in shape.

I do believe the bass does action does change slightly. However, if we're off playing electric bass for a few weeks -- watch out!