1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good 4 year college for music?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by tenorbass, Feb 24, 2008.

1. tenorbass

tenorbass

May 8, 2005
    Hey guys I am looking for a good 4 year college that is in a good price range. I have a 3.0 GPA and I am really starting to get good on my instrument.

A school with a good bass teacher is a MUST! I was thinking about UNT because of Jeff Bradetich. I am going to do 4 years for my degree then do 4 back in Chicago at Depaul.

Someone toss out some names. Thanks :bassist:

2. Curtis

3. tenorbass

tenorbass

May 8, 2005
    Thanks for dropping that name. My teacher told me about Curtis and the name escaped me. It looks like it wont be too hard for me to get into there. The only down side is having to live off campus but that can have some advantages ahaha.

4. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Where do you live? Do you care how far you'd have to travel to get to school?

5. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    The advantages of living off campus your first couple years DO NOT OUTWEIGH the advantages of living on-campus. Trust me, you'll meet many more people living in the dorms than you will living somewhere off-campus.

6. bassman1489

bassman1489

Jun 11, 2006

It looks like it won't be so hard for you to win a principal spot in a top 5 orchestra either, so go for it!

7. mcnaire2004

mcnaire2004

Jan 17, 2006
    everywhere
    I have a question, what have you been working on with your teacher?

If you are good enough for it to not be a problem or worry to get into Curtis, then you are set.

Where is the profile badger? I actually was interested.

8. Jake

Jake

Dec 11, 1999
    Florida
    UNT sounds like it would be good for you. Jeff Bradetich is amazing. Don't forget that Bill Clay, the principal bass of the Ft. Worth Symphony also teaches an orchestral excerpt class there. He is a top notch orchestral musician/teacher. Two of the guys from the excerpt class I was in with Bill now have major orchestral gigs. Curtis is a great place to audition. Even if you don't get in, Hal Robinson is a very encouraging person to meet and play for.

9. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    Music performance degrees are basically worthless because all people want is to listen to you, they don't really care whether you have a degree or not.
    I would focus on the teacher I want to study with, and if money is an issue you could just take private lessons and study something that can help you pay the bills (a trade, education, etc...) Or you can just hold a job.
    Just make sure that you put your practicing and orchestra (community, gigs, college orchestra) as a first priority. Don't expect a great practicing session after an 8 hour shift in the local restaurant.

10. SUNY purchase has a good classical program. You'd be studying with the great Timothy Cobb at a fairly cheap price for a great conservatory program since it is a state school.

11. is this kid serious?

12. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    I was waiting for that response. I am currently sitting in a hotel room in philly staring at my bass trying to figure out how not to botch the audition at Curtis, so... any one that confident I will be weary of.

13. Cosmos

Cosmos

Sep 21, 2006
    New York, NY
    Good luck to all you bass players taking the Curtis auditions. Have a good time!

To the person who started this thread,
    what exactly are you looking for? A university, or a conservatory?
    4-year college makes it sound like you're looking for a university, in which case I guess I'd start with BU, USC, UCLA, Rice, Northwestern, and UMichigan. They all have good bass teachers.

14. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    Jeff Bradetich is the man, period. When I went to the University of Oregon his mother was the undergraduate secretary/admin person and when Jeff would come home to visit he would always come to the School of Music for one reason or another. His clinics, master classes, private lessons, etc. are some of the best I've ever been to.

I vote for UNT.

15. TomGale

TomGale

Jul 31, 2005
    American School of Double Bass

16. tenorbass

tenorbass

May 8, 2005
    Well I have been playing for 3 years, 5 years on electric before so I have a good foundation. I have the 2 movement solo done and the scales that are needed. This summer I am going to work on the bottesini. The only other thing will be some excerpts.

I still have 3 years before I will have to audition this is why I think I have a good chance. I also have done many things outside of school that should help me get in.

17. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    I've heard great things about Belmont in Nashville, TN, especially about their bass professor, Roy Vogt. They have you do both DB & electric your first two years, and then you choose which one to focus on after that, from what I understand.

18. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    That's great that you have started young. That's great that you have A movement of bach down, and two movements of a standard concerto down. That's great that you can play a 3 octave Bb Major and Minor (melodic and natural) scale perfectly in tune while dealing with all of the other variables that are needed when working with scales. What is also great is that you are a sophomore in High School.

Now, can you do it better than every other bassist applying that year? Because that's pretty much what it takes. Seriously. I'll send you a resume or tape, I'll have my stand partner send you a resume or tape, and you can check with any other player applying this year, and I'm willing to bet that none of us think that we are going to get in. Or at least as confidently as you pointed out. I'm not saying that you couldn't get in, nor am I saying that none of us could get in, but I am saying that before you say that you could get into the most competitive music school in the world, and maybe the most competitive school of any nature given the acceptance percentage, without much trouble, look a little harder.

Unless you really are that good. Either way, no harm meant.

19. mattgray

mattgray

Nov 16, 2007
    Cincinnati, OH
    3 years and you're already going to work on Bottesini?! Jesus, I feel inept.

20. check out some of these recordings of bass players NOW at curtis. this one was recorded when Blake was 16:

http://www.fromthetop.com/Files/040205-8.rm.ram

Nathan Vedal, also 16:
    http://www.fromthetop.com/Files/011106-4.rm.ram