Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good 5 string Pbass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass_drum, Jul 29, 2005.

1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Hey!

Im in love with the sound of a pbass, but I cant seem to find any affordable 5 string pbasses. I have found a few basses with a pbass body and jazz pickups, but I'm looking for a pbass with a p pickup aswell. I know sadowsky makes them, and there is the fender reggie hamilton 5 string, but I need something a little more affordable then that. Know of any basses like that?

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Look for a Yamaha BB415 or 615. The passive version is under $500, and the reviews that I have read are very positive. Do a search and you will see what I mean. :)

3. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    thanks !

Only problem is, if i get a yamaha, my guitarist will probably ask me if my bass goes fast. :scowl:

4. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Any other ones that are a little higher quality then those? I cant a fford a sadowsky or custom artist fender, but I can afford something more expensive then a yamaha bb415/615.

5. How about the Fender Deluxe P 5? Or if you can spend a little more and want just a P pickup, Mike Lull makes a P5.

Mike

6. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    If that happens, you need another guitarist.

7. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    ya, I concur. He makes fun of my earplugs...well atleast he used to, I think he learned that not only can I school him in theory, but that I can also solo better then him (I played pulling teeth and I gained some respect).

8. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Lull P-5

[​IMG]

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Don't assume the Yamaha is poor quality because it is cheap (in terms of price). The reviews I have read said it has the workmanship of a bass more expensive than its pricepoint.

10. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Would It be possible to buy a 5 string pbass pickup and put it on a 5 string jbass (I'd remove the neck p/up on the jazz)?

11. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    +1 on the chepaer quality Yamaha.

Have you seen some basses? They're like..3000.
    Also my flute is Yamaha and it's incredible. That was 2500.

12. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    MY trumpet and sax are both yamaha. They arent the greatest, but I do agree, they are great for the money and are excellent student instruments.

13. <.<
    >.>

S
    A
    D
    O
    W
    S
    K
    Y

THERE I SAID IT!

14. Yes, but in the first post he said he already knew about, uh, the "S" word, and was looking for something more affordable.

Mike

15. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I thought Schroeder made cabs. :p

16. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Lol!

Thanks for all the help guys!

If you think of any other basses/ have any other ideas then please post them!

Im considering getting a Sx 5 string jazz or "pbass" (I dont really consider that to be a pbass) and then getting a 5 string p pickup and replacing the neck pickup with the p . Would this work? What brands make 5 string p pickups? All I know of is EMG.

P.S. The Body doesnt have to be p style, I'll consider almost anythign that has 5 strings and a p pickup .

17. Oh.. I didnt see that! Sorry!

18. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

19. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    -ding-

We have a winner!

20. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I haven't played the Freeway 5, but the neck on the Godin A5 was one of the most comfy I've ever felt in any store. That was one SWEET bass. Great tone, too, though it's a J-style Acoustic-type bass.