1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good cheap practice amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by YellowJacket, Jan 23, 2012.

1. YellowJacket

YellowJacket

May 31, 2010
    I have a problem.
    I don't have $$$s because of a young family and a student budget. I was planning on gigging but I really don't want to lug my Ashdown AMB 210 / Markbass SA450 head out to rehearsals. Are there any good options for practice amps?? I'm talking $100 or so. Should I simply suck it up and get a dolly instead?

I wish there was such thing as a 110 neo microcab for these occasions.

2. I bought the little Acoustic B10 for $99 from GC a few years back. I think the thing sounds great, and if you're looking for a $100 bedroom practice amp I'd highly recommend it. Before that I had a little 10w Crate amp as my bedroom practice amp that sounded hollow and miserable. this things sounds great for what it is.

Acoustic B10 10W 1X10 Bass Combo Amp and more Bass Amplifiers at GuitarCenter.com.

edit: I think I misunderstood your question. Are you looking for something to practice with yourself at home, or to practice in a band setting? because the acoustic I mentioned won't cut it for band practice.

joe

3. YellowJacket

YellowJacket

May 31, 2010
    Bah, I think this is the wrong forum. Needs to go in the AMPS forum, right??

Yes, I'm looking for something for rehearsal. It is a band who doesn't have a lot of rehearsal volume. I mean my Markbass + 210 would be adequate but I don't want to move it =-(

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    There is, they just cost a lot more than your budget.

Why don't you want to move what you have? It's pretty small & light.

5. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    There's a used Kustom KXB100 100W 1x15 Bass
    Combo Amp at GC for $105,

Tabdog

6. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    Good question. A decent low cost combo weighs
    twice what the Ashdown AMB 210 weighs,

Tabdog

7. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    100 watts is the lowest you'd want to go, if you're playing with a band (including acoustic drummer). you'd have to search in the used amp section to find one for $100 however.

8. YellowJacket

YellowJacket

May 31, 2010
    Hmm, ideally I would love to run a Markbass Traveller 210 (33lbs) for small stuff and a Traveller 115 (40lbs) for big stuff. Together, they weight just a little over the AMB210, which is a portly 65lbs by comparison. Sadly, I don't have $1,200 for this convenience. From the sounds of things, a dolly would be a better purchase!!

The only thing is that the Ashdown AMB210 sounds and looks so cool. FOr $400, it would be fun to throw a compact 115 under that for bigger stuff. Guess lifting is part of being a professional bassist, hmm?

9. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    This is what I was thinking. Even as an old fart with heart trouble, I consider most 210's as pretty small and light.

And, as someone else said, most "small" combos are made of MDF and are heavy.

OP. Wish I could help, but can't really imagine what you are looking for.

10. I understand what the OP is looking for....for our practices I use the PA powered speaker, but it is kinda thin.

I'd actually like a 100W, 12 inch neo speaker kind of mini-combo.

The GK MicroBass really costs too much.

11. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Yeah. Good thoughts. But he is talking 100 bucks. I mostly use 2 112 neo cabs that I built myself. Just the 12" drivers retail for $330 bucks each. He is not going to find a neo 112 combo for 100 bucks. (if he does, I hope he tells us all so we can buy one)

12. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
  13. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Mar 26, 2008
    Bezerkely, CA
    +1 with all who are saying that you are not going to get much lighter than what you've already got and still be rehearsal-ready.

What about getting the best used cab you can get for $100 and leaving it at the space, and just shuttling the head back and forth?

--Bomb :bassist:

14. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Oh, and a GK MB200.

KO

15. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Actually, finding a "rehearsal space cab" is a better option. You can occasionally find a 4x10 for $200, for example. Craig's List.

KO

16. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Good advice.

17. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    my practice amp is a GK Backline 150...good and cheap.

18. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    I'm afraid the answer is probably "no." There are amps for less than $100, but they don't sound good at appropriate volumes for rock bands.