Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good choice for MM pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bardolph, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I've been thinking about doing a little mod on my 55-01 and routing for a MM pickup to go in the bridge position. I'm really fond of the mids from MM basses and I'd like to have it wired so I can switch to single coil to get kind of a jazz bass sound. Would I need a specific kind of MM pickup to be able to wire it in such a way? What brand seems to have a tone close to a stingray?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Have you checked out Basslines MM Alnico pup with the accompanying Tone Circuit ??? Duncan designed it to mimic the original pickup on Ray's before Ernie Ball took over......only with more serious tone.

I had that setup put on a custom bass and it is deadly.

Downside - It ain't cheap....but it's hard to find a "free lunch."

3. Uzo

Uzo

Jan 1, 2004
    Finland
    I have to agree with the basslines alnico. I replaced the MM pickup on my MTD Kingston and the bass sounds like an expensive custom MM bass.

4. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Would I be able to wire it so I could use it as a single coil too?

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

You might do a search for Dimento's MM experiment and see if anything rings a bell there.

Never tried an original Stingray pup but ran a Sterling and liked it the best of the lot - but the originals require deeper routing due to thicker pup.

Ran a Duncan but not the Alnico version. Ran a Carvin that's Alnico and to me it did sounded more like the original MM than the lot of them I ran.

You'll need a DPDT on-on-on switch and 5 wire MM pup (which basically all the replacements are - Kington MM's only 2 wire) to run the standard MM scenario.

Something else that may be of consideration is string spacing. It can be an issue with a neck pup with exposed poles if you choose an MM with exposed poles. The Barts are blade/rail without exposed poles.

6. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    " Have you checked out Basslines MM Alnico pup with the accompanying Tone Circuit ??? "

Do you have a link (preferrably one of Talkbass's sponsors) to more info on the tone circit? 3 knob/ 4 knob, active/passive option? I can't find any pictures or specs on it at Seymour Duncans site.

Also purchase info? Good price? TIA

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I think bestbassgear.com may handle them. And it seems there's an SD tone circuit on ebay now - under bass pickup or bass pickups so maybe some pups are with it but you could keep the circuit and sell or swap the pups.

8. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I've been really happy with the Bart MM I put in a bass. Between the on/on/on switch I have for parallel/single coil/series selection and the 3 position mid switch for the preamp, I can get a few useable tones right from this pickup. Even tho it's a 2 pickup bass I have it panned only to the MM because it sounds great to my ears. It's quiet too, except for the usual single coil hum when thats selected.