1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good clip-on mics for upright bass

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by hgrind, Mar 5, 2008.

1. hgrind

hgrind

Dec 16, 2005
    Otta, Norway
    Can anyone recommend some good clip-on mics for upright bass. I've used AKG C419 before, and I think that one sounds good, but they're discontinued and I can't find one now.

Are there other good (and preferrably cheap) clip-on mics that you can attach to the bass? What about Audio-Technica ATM350, Shure Beta 98H/C, Audix Micro-D, ATM S25B (expensive)? Other suggestions are welcome.

2. holzwurm

holzwurm

Oct 3, 2007
    Germany
    The Audio-Technica ATM35 is quite popular among bassists. But there are different versions, afak. Be careful to really get the better version.

3. hgrind

hgrind

Dec 16, 2005
    Otta, Norway
    I guess that means choosing the atm350 over the pro35?

4. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    I don't know all the specifics, but I think holzwurm's advice is very good.

My previous notes on this (and I'm sorry, I could be wrong) indicate that the ATM35 was supposedly the mic used by Ray Brown on some of the Telarc recordings done late in his career. I could check liner notes on the Superbass CD later when I am home if you like. But someone else on TB once said that the Pro 35x was "cheap garbage" compared to the ATM35.

To complicate matters ... I think their makes and models may have changed over the years. For example, on zzounds.com, I now see the ATM350 for $250, and an ATM35cw for $99.

5. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    The ATM35 is discontinued. I bought one used from a TBer last year and have been happy with it live and in the studio (as a second source instead of a pickup). This mic seems to be a really good value and was recommended to me by bassist Mike Arnopol (who I believe made the "cheap garbage" comment about the Pro35) and the soundman at the Green Mill in Chicago.

6. bopeuph

bopeuph

Jul 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Going on the site, the ATM350 doesn't say anything about use for an upright bass. It seems to be mostly for violin. I would double check on that before thinking about its uses for bass.

Nick

7. hgrind

hgrind

Dec 16, 2005
    Otta, Norway
    It's not designed for upright bass, no, but if the ATM350 is the successor to ATM35, it should work well with upright bass. There's quite a few using the ATM35. It looks the same.

How about the K&K Golden Bullet mic?

8. darksail

darksail

Aug 13, 2004
    Firenze, Italy
    I had both (AT pro 35 and Golden bullet)
    Still using the first one, and sold the bullet (...)

Emi

9. funkyfretless

funkyfretless

Jan 15, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    amt bass mic (super pre model) is also really good i use it and it sounds greeeaaatttt in the studio!

10. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Well, it's also $900 w/ the Super Preamp. Yowza.

Many people who frequent this forum feel that while the AMT excels (for some folks) for live use, there are perhaps better choices out there for studio use. I am not speaking from a lot of studio experience myself, just echoing many of the posts I've seen in this forum.

While it is a nice mic, my AMT mostly stays at home. I use a Beyer dynamic mic than costs less than 1/2 of the AMT SP25B on all my gigs, and I get more usable volume before feedback and what I think is a better sound. I should point out I run it thru my amp, which is a different ball of wax than running it to the PA.

11. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    With an H-clamp from ExplorAudio, you can make any mic that isn't super heavy (let's say less than 500 grams) a clip-on (or clamp-on).

12. hgrind

hgrind

Dec 16, 2005
    Otta, Norway
    I found this on about the Audix ADX20i, which is a clip-on microphone designed for brass and woodwinds: "The ADX20-i is well suited for recording the double bass, as well as for use on stage".

Does anyone have any experience with this mic? Not too expensive either; $159.

13. hgrind

hgrind

Dec 16, 2005
    Otta, Norway
    That's a question I've been meaning to ask also. Regarding the ATM35 vs. ATM350, the 35 has 30-20k, and the 350 has 40-20k. I know many use the ATM35. I've been thinking about buying the ATM350, but maybe the frequency response on the ATM35 is better suited for bass?

14. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Our low E is 41 Hz.

15. hgrind

hgrind

Dec 16, 2005
    Otta, Norway
    That means we're ok using a mic with 40-20000? :confused:

16. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    I would say yes.

But just because that's what the freq specs say, it may or may not make a "good sound" for DB. There are other factors at play, like proximity effect. With a high degree of proximity effect, you get exaggerated bass if the mic is too close.

Some mics even have a switchable low end rolloff feature, similar to a high pass filter. I use a HPF with my pickup, but not my mic.

And some mics with a freq range that starts higher than 40 Hz might work just fine.

I wish I could give you a definitive answer, but I've never used any of the ATM models.

17. I prefered the AT Pro 35 over the AKG 519 (new #)...the 519 didnt have the presence of the pro 35. I have also tried the Crown GLM200. The Crown is one funky mic...the hypercardioid pattern is different to deal with. For what the Crown cost, it come with a very cheesy clip. The part that clips to the actual mic is one of those jobs that you got on the end of a purple feather at the local county fair....

The problem with all the clip-ons available is the clamps do not expand enough for the lower part of the bass bridge. You have to clamp then on the top of the bridge or try the f-hole. The goose necks could stand to be a few inches longer also.....Most are made for drums :rollno: (who wants to mic those loud things) or horns......so what else should I try???

18. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I clamp the mic on a bridge adjuster wheel which lets me place the mic right between the feet, 1/2 inch above the top. Sounds good there on my bass. If your adjuster wheels are too small to clamp onto, just trade them out for some with larger wheels, an inexpensive fix.

19. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    There are two mics fom Audio Technica Pro35 and ATM35, which looks same, but the ATM350 twice the price, that one much better?