1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good clip-on mics for upright bass

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by hgrind, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Mike Arnopol thinks the Pro35 is not very good and I trust his judgement. The ATM35, which I use, is discontinued. I don't know anything about the ATM350, maybe it replaced the ATM35.

2. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    The ATM35 is still available in Japan
    If anyone wants one I can order it and ship to you

Thanks

Robert VanLane

3. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    i have both the Audix ADX20i and the Audio-Technica ATM35
    for me, the Audix sounds better and thats what i have been using to mix with a pickup for years now, its not a huge difference but its there.
    this of course on my bass with me playing with my strings, set up, etc etc:D

Nuno

4. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    How is the isolation and the gain before feedback with the Audix ADX20i?

5. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    with the audix i have a lot of gain before feedback ( sure this is very subjective as i dont play at rock levels, ), the isolation is ok, a couple of times the sound guys complained that the mike was bleeding and there was drumming going inside, but i was very close to the drummer, i just moved away and voila, no more bleeding.
    honestly, i can get pretty loud with this mike.

Nuno

6. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Yes, the 350 is WAAAY better than the Pro35. It reaches a little lower in the sound spectrum and much higher. Clipped in the treble f-hole looking at the top it sounds like my bass, only louder. :)

7. Brian K

Brian K

May 21, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    The ATM35 is the way to go, in my opinion. When I got mine, I was checking out the AMT and a Neumann KM185, then someone suggested the Audio Technica. It was as good as either of those, at 1/4 of the price. 3 of them have gone on eBay for under $100 recently.

8. Few months ago I lended my bass to Scott Colley while he was playing here in the Czech Republic with Donny McCaslin and Antonio Sanches.
    He was using his Audio Technica Pro35. He sent the mic signal to the house PA and used the Realist through my Markbass combo only as a stage monitor.
    It was the best microphone sound I've ever heard. All the nuances, not only the thumph, were captured. This experience convinced me to buy the mic and I really love it. This is the first time I can get loud into PA and sound guys never complain about the bleed from drums.
    Also, I believe you don't need the extended frequency range, just the opossite. In fact, I remember Scott Colley asked the sound guy to cut both bass and trebles a little. Then the sound was woody, warm and full of detail.

9. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    I'm really interested in trying one of the AT clip-ons and I seem to remember someone changing the mini plug on an ATM35 to a standard XLR jack to plug straight into a phantom powered board or amp. My amp has phantom power as does our PA. I would love to eliminate the battery pack if I end up with one of these lil' guys. Is this a viable or reasonable option?

Thanks,
    -J

BTW, I was present when the Ray Brown Trio recorded "Bass Face, Live at Kuumbwa" and he did indeed record through an ATM35 clip-on, however it was on a mic stand a few inches away from the bass.

10. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    I'd be interested to know where it clipped to and where/how near the mic was.

11. Scott Colley had the mic attached at the bridge wheel (on his own bass he has some adjustment for more stability), at the G side of the bridge. The mic pointed just next to the round hole on the upper end of the f hole, about 2 cm from the front desk. During soundcheck he changed the position little bit - moved the mic little closer to the hole (not in front of the hole though, he kept it little aside).

12. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    I used a Pro35 for a time (just sold it today) and that is exactly where it sounded best. A velcro strip attached to the cable and wrapped around the bridge foot kept it nice and secure. Placement is critical. Just a half inch across the table makes a huge difference.
    Gonna try a 35 or 350 next.

13. Bret Higgins

Bret Higgins

Oct 28, 2005
    Toronto
    Wondering what kind of Mark combo you have and/or heard Scott playing through? I've run my bass (using a realist) through a mark combo that has 4x10 speakers and I think it consistently sounds terrible. :bawl:

I've heard that when amplifying an upright it is best to avoid 10 inch speakers and strive to use a 12 or 15 inch one. Anybody have any insights?

14. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    Take cover!

15. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
  16. groucho1

groucho1

Sep 15, 2006
    I've been using a Schertler set-up for a few years.....bluegrass,accoustic duo gigs,folk rock,that type of stuff...

17. Is the Fishman BP-100 clip on set up satisfactory for general use---not recording.

Fog

18. Earl

Earl Supporting Member

After experimenting with various pickups over the years and never being really satisfied I recently got my ATM35 out of the drawer, and along with the gut strings I have also recently returned to, it sounds really great.
    From not being used for so long the foam windscreen that also holds it in the gooseneck kinda fell apart though, so I called AT and they sent me a new windscreen for free two days later. Great customer service!

19. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    There are several threads on this pickup. Its not the greatest out there. Granted, it sounds good on SOME basses, but more often than not its difficult to get a good sound with it. I would look at the Realist, or the Revolution Solo. My favorite is the Full Circle by Fishman, but unless you feel comfortable taking the bridge off it requires professional installation.

20. jmmcc

jmmcc

Apr 21, 2006
    London UK
    I found out that in my bass, clipping a mic to the adjuster wheel reduce some volume and some clarity, it worked like a “micro” bass mute.
    I’ve tried clipping it to the f-hole, didn’t like it either
    I will buy an H-Clamp

Best Regards