1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

good drum machine?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Pete528, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Pete528

Pete528

Aug 13, 2007
    im looking for a drum machine or a program where i can make my own drum beats.

i want something i can play bass along with.

the cheaper, the better, but not necessarily if its crap lol.

thanks!

2. superhand

superhand

Sep 14, 2009
    Fresno, CA
    Hydrogen, doesn't get any cheaper, its free. I'm not sure if it is available for Windows or Mac, I run it on Ubuntu Linux, also free of course. I personally don't believe in paying for or pirating software. Free open source all the way, its the only way to fly.

3. superhand

superhand

Sep 14, 2009
    Fresno, CA
    I forgot the link, here ya go:

http://www.hydrogen-music.org/

Looks like they have an "experimental" Windows installer now. I can't vouch for that one but the Linux version is awesome.

4. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    FWIW, I tried the experimental Win installer and, while it did seem to install Hydrogen, the app itself did not actually work for me.

I use iDrum from iZotope, works well for me. Seem to recall it runs about $60. They offer a 10 day trial version if you want to check it out.

good luck

5. Propellerhead released Rebirth as a free download - go to http://www.rebirthmuseum.com and see the downloads section for the cd image (you'll have to register first). It's a dandy software emulation of the Roland TR-808 and TR-909 drum machines :D

Cheers,
    Adrian

6. Blueser

Blueser

Aug 8, 2009
    EZ Drummer by Toontracks. Nice stuff.

7. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    How real do you want it?

Jamstix isn't that easy to learn, but that's partly due to the amazing things it can do. If you want realism it's the single best option, I think. Not a bad price, either.

www.rayzoon.com

8. Mooch

Mooch

Jan 1, 2009
    MN
    Acid dj/Soundforge. Any version works newer the better.soundforge Is a recording program and works hand in hand with acid. You can get and drum samples you want and then lay them out in acid and loop them or make entire drum tracks.

They sound real and are digital and easy to master once finished with soundforge. Been doing it for ten years and I swear by it.

Check out sony they are the publishers of the software.

Mooch

9. I know there is better, but Alesis SR-16 is realistic, affordable and good for recording too.

10. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Roland Midi are commonly in ads for the $25-50 range.

Example models are DR-550

11. Mads

Mads Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2005
    Oslo, Norway
    +1

Easy and usable

12. curandero

curandero

Feb 19, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    I have used EZ Drummer and Addictive Drums. Both are freaking awesome. I hardly ever pick up my bass at home without running one of those anymore.

13. foq1978

foq1978

Aug 7, 2009
    Rio de Janeiro
    Interesting. Do you know if iDrum comes with more percussive / organic sounds (rather than standard drum kits) ?

Thanks a lot!

14. Hardware or software? For an actual drum machine, the Alesis SR-16 is great bang-for-the-buck.

15. sleepytime

sleepytime

Nov 10, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Just installed Hydrogen on my Ubuntu machine. Thanks for the info.