Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good general theory book for beginner?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I'm starting to teach, and all I have is my old guitar books. I need a good bass book that has easy songs, teaching both theory and technique. I don't want it to be 50$ either.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Believe it or not, an excellent beginners book of music theory is:

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory, Michael Miller $18.95, 284 pages. Paperback.

(You may be able to find this used at Amazon.com)

I have a collection of theory books, including very expensive ones, but this book is hard to beat as a book for beginners or even intermediates who would like a sound, well organized approach to learning theory without really difficult and advanced ideas that discourage more than inform.

The book is not written in bass clef, however, and many theory books are not. Also, this book does not have tab. I honestly don't feel that not having bass clef is a major problem because the concepts are the same.

There are three other theory books for beginners that you might try to find. They are also affordable, but I still stand by the one above:

Teach Yourself Music Theory.

Practical Theory Complete:A Self Instruction Book

An Understandable Guide to Music Theory.