1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

good live tone help

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Gab124, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Gab124

Gab124 The path is greater than the destination

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    Okay, I have finally got to the point that i have good equipment, but apparently need help in understanding good eg setup for live situations. I have found that I like to boost mids (around 800hz) and reduce or flat the lows. Great for cutting through and reduce any chance of getting boomy. I have found though that my highs are not what I want. I would like to have very present and musical highs (close to equal volume across strings), but everytime I try to adjust eg to get there I end up with finger noise, clacks etc. I am happy with the lows, help me find the right eq frequencies to get better highs... I want the sound of at home practice at low volume in a loud situation, is that too much to ask from my equipment?? :bag: :help:
    Thanks for any help.
    Oh, by the way I play rock mostly and I am into the jam band genre like Umphrey's Mcgee etc. I use mostly nickel strings from D'Addario.

2. Qvist

Qvist

Jul 20, 2007
    Denmark
    Concerning the "clack", either you gotta ease up on your attack or get a proper string setup. Turning down your treble and focus on the high-mids for clarity have proven to help for me in the past aswell.

3. Gab124

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    Thanks Qvist. Could you elaborate on what freq when you suggest High mids? I have done research on this and find lots of comments on low mids, high mid, highs - but to be honest I need some details on what those freqs are. I know the general area - but I am using parametric and not sweeping adjustment.
    Thanks man,
    g

4. Qvist

Qvist

Jul 20, 2007
    Denmark
    Sure thing Gab, I'd say around 1khz to 3khz, but there's different perceptions of it... I gaurentee though, if you are into a very clear bass tone, boost there :)

If you lack low-end, I suggest starting from maybe 500hz. Create a little pyramid, hehe.

5. Gab124

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    Hey thanks again. I think I have been boosting at around 250. I will try moving it up some more. Thanks

6. Qvist

Qvist

Jul 20, 2007
    Denmark
    You're welcome ;D

7. Do you flatten the lows, as in scooping them out ???