Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Modding Bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Jul 5, 2005.

1. I know that SX basses are ultimate good for modding, seeing as they sell at a cheap price. But I like more of a contemporary more modern look, and I'm not talking about Brice/Douglas either.

Can any of you suggest a bass I could purchase for my girlfriend (about 5'5, 115) that would fit her right, and treat her right too? I'm looking for something that she can keep for along time, and just change parts out, and mod it for awhile, until she has major cash to afford what she GASs for, which is what I GAS for. ('Wicks, Zon, Spector, etc, etc.)

Any suggestions??? Right now, I'm thinking just an Ibanez SR200 from Ebay would work. Opinions???

~Ryan.

2. audiotom

audiotom

May 31, 2005
    new orleans
    I have a 3 year old Ibanez SG500 that's in pristine condition (redish burgunday - active pickups)
    that I haven't played since my 78 P bass arrived

Tom

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My testing/modding bass is an old SR400 that I plucked the electronics from, threw a Hipshot on and is currently amplified through a vintage PAF Dimarzio Model P pickup, and soon a Schaller Double J as well. This is where I test all my wiring, and surprisingly, I like the tone so much it plays second fiddle to my '78 P.

4. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
  5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Didn't read the original post did ya? He said he didn't want an SX.

6. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    admittedly I scanned it and happend to skip the first line lol.

7. If you want to buy your girlfriend a bass, you need to look seriously at this Ibanez EDA900 on Musicians Friend right now. It's a great sounding bass and it's also very lightweight. I believe it's a 34 inch scale which is standard. I'm teaching my 5'2 friend to play Bass, and she's ok with a 34" so you should be fine.

Why are you concerned with modding a bass?

8. I think the EDA would fit her fine... In fact I know that if would fit her fine, she loves my Peavey Millenium to death... but that's my FIRST bass ever, and it's never leaving my hands... It's now a family heirloom, lol. I need to find her a first bass of her own.

I was thinking that I could just buy a cheapo bass like the Wasburn XBs or Ts (just examples) and, then when she's ready to upgrade, I can teach her how everything is wired up, and let her choose what she wants. I'm getting into builing basses myself, and right now, she seems like she's interested in it too. I figure that you should attempt to mod before you start to build, but hey, that's just me. I'm trying to start her off like I SHOULD have started off... She's learned from all of my mistakes, lol... Shes almost better than I am... almost :p

~Ryan.