Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by GreenDolphin232, Apr 18, 2004.

1. GreenDolphin232

Apr 13, 2004
    Next year I'm going to high school and joining the jazz ensemble. The band has only had an electric bass player so the teacher is really excited about having a DB player. Now since they're getting a bass they don't have any pickups. I never chose a pickup so i need help finding a good pickup.
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    For that application I would recommend something sturdy, inexpensive, and removable. K&K would be my recommendation.
  3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    True, but the bridge's wing must have the correct shape to accomodate the K&K. (be flat and the correct distance)
    I've seen many bridges where the wing doesn't have a flat surface. (Bausch model?)
    A Fishman BP-100, although I don't like it, is more likely to fit a the first try, and is removeable too.
    And he's likely to find one used at a good price in the classifieds forum.
  4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    The K&K Double Big Twin is not very invasive; it just sticks onto the bridge with double sided goop, and sounds good. Less than a hundred bucks, minus preamp.
  5. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Come on, every player has to start with a BP100! That's how we learn what not to like in a pick up. Thin sound, no bottom end, and easy to get feedback. What more could you want???

But seriously: all the good, inexpensive pick ups require some work to install, but the Realist is not that big of a deal. Loosen the strings a bit and slide it under the bridge foot. Worth the effort. Cost is about $175 I think.