1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

good starter amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lordziros, May 20, 2011.

1. lordziros

lordziros

May 10, 2011
    easton pa
    i have a 95 mexican p-bass(im repairing it cause the necks warped) and im just learning how to play but i dont really know what kind of amp i should get. i am currently using a 100w p.a system but its old as hell and im going to be getting a new amp so i need a few suggestions for what i should look into.

2. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    What's your budget & playing situation?
    For practice, rehearsal & small scale stuff, I feel the Roland Cube100 is tough to beat. For a tighter budget, there's the Peavey Minx or Max12. For a rock band situation, a GK800RB with a 15" cab or two is what I'd recommend if your budget allows, otherwise I'd look at the Peavey TNT.

3. wideload

wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    Salinas, CA
    SVT and an 810. You're set for life.

4. I agree with T. Alan - Peavey makes some dependable gear at a generally fair price, and I have yet to find a GK amp that is neither affordable nor great sounding. I haven't checked out the roland cube 100 though.

5. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    I like the Cube100 most because it's got that dependable Peavey feel, with real handy bells-n-whistles, which are great for a practice situation. It sounds big and can do as a fair backup if your not playing in an all out rock situation. Its ability to drive a 2nd cab and the modeling makes it quite flexible.

6. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    OP I hope you realize everyone is gonna suggest what they use...... my suggestion is to go and try as many as you like and pick the best one for you.....

7. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Although I've used the gear I mentioned, I don't nor have owned any of it. Just real world experience. :)
    I suppose I could have recommended a MarkBass amp, but the TNT/800RB really offers a more solid foundation to actually learn from, IMHO.

8. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I "3rd" the Peavey choice. Very affordable and decent tone for the $. I got a Peavey Max for my son to use in his apartment and was pleasantly surprised when I tried it out.

9. +1 - it's important to find what's right for you in terms of sound volume and price instead of just what we recommend. I guess take out recommendations as just some signs to point you in a general direction of some generally reputable manufacturers. of the amps I've suggested, I've never owned one, just used a few in gigging situations when I couldn't use the van and lug my warwick to a gig.