1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good strings for a sixer tuned to A - D - G - C - F - A#

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Im Greg, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Im Greg

Im Greg

Mar 16, 2009
    as a some what new six string bassist i need new strings and don't even know where to start and im looking for strings that can handle the one step drop

2. Roland777

Roland777

Jun 1, 2006
    Sweden
    Depends on your touch. I used to play a five-string down one step with .130-.095-.070-.055-.040 - basically standard/light gauge strings. If you don't mind some fret-clank and/or adjust your technique to a lighter touch, you can try that.
    Most probably though, you need to get heavier strings. 145-105-80-60-45-30 will give you a nice uniform tension all across, but still won't be as heavy as a 4-string 40-100-set in standard tuning. For all the tips I've given you, I'd STRONGLY recommend getting D'Addario nickels in singles (Do not get D'Addario prosteels - they are lighter-tensioned than D'Addario nickel roundwounds). What bass do you play? I sure hope you've got a "35-scale.

3. Im Greg

Im Greg

Mar 16, 2009
    Thank you very much.
    And yes i have a 35" scale