Good to see Tiger Woods competitive again

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ant Illington, Mar 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Ant Illington

Ant Illington I'm Anthony but I'm only illin' Inactive

I haven't watched golf since Tiger's big fall but heard he is looking and feeling good so I'm tuned in. It's nice to see and I hope he can return to the dominant player he was!

2. He always says that.

He did so much damage to himself swinging so hard when he was younger, that it finally caught up with him.

I think if he had taken five miles off his swing speed and kept things in the fairway, he'd already have his eighteen and then some. But Jack made somewhat of a comeback in his forties, so we'll see what Eldridge has left in the bag.
    Hopefully he can drop an occasional tourney in the W column now and then.

Except for that occasional glimmer of the old Tiger which I'm sure we'll see now and again, he's just waiting for the boat to dock at the senior tour. Nine years and counting. Not that those guys don't play some phenomenal golf, it's just that the young guns aren't afraid of him like they once were. When TW hits 50, he'll be up against that bunch that always played for second place when he was King. That should be some interesting golf.

MattZilla likes this.
  3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Like a lot of us, Tiger is not growing old gracefully. When you are 25, everything on your body works, and you can devote your life to your swing, it's a different world.

4. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    I wish he would coach. Michelle Wie needs help with her comically bad putting.

5. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Like him or dislike Tiger, he sure makes Sundays more watchable when he's in contention.

I don't dislike him, but I'm pulling for Paul Casey.

Ant Illington likes this.
  6. Ant Illington

Ant Illington I'm Anthony but I'm only illin' Inactive

I'm admittedly a fair-weather sports fan. At the pro level in any sport, every one is pretty damn good so pretty damn good becomes average. The primary thing I like about sports is when a clearly dominant outlier or team of outliers show up for a relatively long time. Your Favres, Rodgers, Patriots, Jordans, 90's Bulls, Kane and Toews prime era Hawks, etc. Tiger did that for me for golf, and I'd like to see that dominance return, that's all I'm saying. It's clearly more than his body if after 8 surgeries including the first return from a spinal fusion he can come back and seriously compete. He apparently has a superior golf-brain.

7. image.png

BurnOut likes this.
  8. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    I'm just glad he survived that attack-with-golf- club. Many of us don't. :thumbsup:

BurnOut likes this.
  9. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    On one of those rounds, Tiger had the fastest club head speed in the entire field. And it seems that he doesn't have so much as a twinge in his back any more. If his back holds out...look out.

GregC and Ant Illington like this.
  10. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Can't believe he's pressed on, as gruesome as his back pain has appeared at times, according to witnesses and written profiles. Obviously a driven individual. But then, what else is he gonna do? Quit and play golf?

11. Yeah. His wife never handled his nine iron like that before! :woot:

Microbass and Son of Wobble like this.
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
  13. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

I think golf is better when Tiger is Tiger the player, not Tiger the side show or the after thought.

I'm not really much of a golf fan, admittedly, but I do think it's more interesting when Tiger is relevant.

14. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    I posted this on March 11, 2018.

And now...Tiger Woods is the 2019 Masters champion!:woot:

GregC, bholder and dwm74 like this.