1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good trade?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by morewattsplease, Mar 29, 2013.

1. I found a craigslister who might trade me
    HIS: Carvin BB75, from early 90's, JJ config, looks in okay condition

for MY:
    Warwick german corvette JJ passive black finish good condition but I know all of its quirks and its got belt rash on the back from the previous owner

Please give me some advice! Do those neckthroughs on the BB75 stay pretty true?

I love my wick but I've had a recent falling out with it because...I'm finding it difficult to balance and play, you guys think I'd like the carvin?

2. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    by "all of its quirks" do you mean subjective things like the balance and neck mass or are you saying there's something wrong with the instrument (pickups, wiring, hardware, or otherwise)?

If your wick doesn't have any issues beyond the subjective feel, I'd say your corvette is worth more than the Carvin. At least monetarily. Carvins just don't have good resale value. Of course, you might be more happy with the Carvin... so in that sense it might be a "good trade"

3. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Bad trade, value-wise.

4. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Carvin's don't hold value like German Warwick's do. Value does not add up.

5. There's the problem. Everyone's worried about their monetary value.

6. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Okay, offer the guy with the Carvin a similar Rockbass and see what he says...

7. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Yes its a good trade..for the guy getting your warwick. ;)
    i had the same warwick..i loved it except it was too heavy..i took a beatin on a trade.
    In hindsight..the smart move for me woulda been to sell the warwick (this is where the monetary value comes in to play , kids.) and THEN buy a bass of my choice..and pocket the difference..or buy a higher dollar bass or whatev. I was impatient..so I lost out.

remember..luck is what happens when opportunity meets preparedness. ;)
    good luck..be patient. Sell the wick and buy the carvin..pocket the difference..or go have a celebratory drink or whatev.

8. quirks= single coil hum, could use a good sheilding, balance and weight that grew on me as a problem, and a nick on the top of the headstock that one might not notice right away (prev owner, probably hit the ceiling but the bass isn't affected by it)

I wouldn't try to sneak "quirks" under the cover if they were serious.

Thanks for the advice, I just needed someone to tell me not to do it haha, already had a couple reservations, esp the trans green color

9. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Sell your Warwick and use the money towards building a Carvin in the color you want.

10. I've owned both and I think it's a fair trade. You're trading a German crafted bolt on w/passive electronics and nice woods.

He's trading a well crafted, made in USA neck thru w/active electronics and very nice hardware. I'd put both basses in the $500-$600 range so I think it's a fair swap if you like the look and feel of the Carvin.

11. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Any intelligent person would atleast consider the financial aspect of any trade - and the OP did ask if it was a "good trade", right???

- georgestrings

12. Fair enough, and that was the case I was making for the carvin, but its really not the carvin I would choose, and I'm gonna wait it out and se if I can't do better later.
    plus I own a fender jazz, a fender fretless jazz, a modulus flea, and the wick. Relatively big differences between them
    Every 6 months my favorite changes

13. No, any person who thinks in the Capitalist mindset where money is king would think of the financial aspect of any trade.

I choose more to look at whether it fits my style, aesthetics, comfort & sound. Money comes dead last on my list.

14. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Lol.

15. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Yeah, good luck with that - I'm guessing you're still fairly young...

The OP asked for opinions on a trade - over half of the respondents brought up the financial aspect of the deal, which means your "Capitalist" line of BS isn't valid...

- georgestrings

16. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Exactly...

- georgestrings

17. whether or not the money isnt important to me or if I don't want to be a super capitalist penny pincher...I mean shoot I'm a heavy marxist sympathizer and I still need to realize that I live in a capitalist society, I gotta pay rent and trading a $valuable bass for a bass I won't be able to sell for as much may be the difference between paying and not paying rent one month if I had to sell basses to live...God save me from that scenario but I know it happens

18. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Enjoy your decaying orbit into poverty!

:rollno:

[plonk!]