1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Got a Bass Today - 7 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slipperyPete, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Well my Conklin GT-7 finally arrive today. I purchased it on eBay (oh the horror) with some poker winnings. I have wanted an extended range bass for quite some time and after being able to play on it for only a little over an hour today (work from now until 1 am) I can already tell this won't be my last ERB.

I do have one question, I was wondering if there is anything I should do to take care of the fretboard? My only other bass (a Rickenbacker 4003) does not require anything special besides a nice cleaning, but I wouldn't want to neglect the newest member of my bass family. Thanks.

2. King V

King V

Dec 13, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Congrats on the entry into ERB land. If you have the purpleheart fretboard, I don't think you have to do anything special. The only thing I would do to mine was take some VERY light steel wool and Lemon oil to it if it got grundgy.

3. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Congrats +1!
    7-strings can be fun.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    congrats. poker winnings, eh? cool

5. It is just the Purpleheart fingerboard, so I'll just make sure to keep her clean.

Yes, if it weren't for poker I probably wouldn't have been able to afford this for a couple more years being a lowly college student (not too mention being able to eat.)

I don't know if any of you saw the listing or not, but the body was reshaped to make it more contoured and lighter which was a huge selling point for me because I am a small guy so a lighter bass is more appealing. I'll be taking some pictures tomorrow so I'll post them for anyone interested that didn't see the listing.

Also, any tips on getting myself accustomed to such a different beast, i.e. songs to practice that utilize the extended range, would be much appreciated.

6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Pics?

7. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Congrats and welcome to ERB-town :bassist:

I did see that listing, kind of curious how the bass sits with the trimmed down body. I'm a big guy, so the body size doesn't bother me, actually, it's so well balanced that I was wondering if the "trimming" would mess up the balance.

As far as technique is concerned, you'll likely find that moving up to a 7 is going to require several adjustments, most of them relating to hand positioning and string muting. For example, if you're the type that regularly anchors your thumb on the back of the neck, you'll need to free up the thumb to make some of the stretches across the neck to get to the lower register strings. I had to make adjustments to my right hand position for string muting.

You'll likely also find that eventually you'll be moving across the neck rather than up and down. This may take some adjustment, but it also opens up a lot of different and creative ways to work through chords ....

Good luck with it, and post some pics of it when you get a chance ....... :cool:

8. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Must have pics!

9. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    sounds like some game of poker.

well done. hope you enjoy the bass.

Dave

10. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    You speak of a bass... yet, we see nothing. If a bass thumps made of woods and no pics are there for us to see, did it make a sound?

[​IMG]

:D

11. you know the rules...no pic(s) no bass :D

12. Here are the pics finally...

Attached Files:

13. Some more...

Attached Files:

14. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Yikes! Why would someone slim that bass down? I had one for a long, long while, and the weight wasn't a big deal because it was balanced perfectly. I think that maybe slimming down the body would offset the balance enough to counteract to goal of making it feel lighter.

15. Looks pretty cool to me I guess. I think I prefer the original shape, but I definitely wouldn't mind if that bass turned up on my doorstep. The top horn kinda looks Roscoe Century-ish to me.
    -Alex

16. steve21

steve21 Banned

That's cool.

You've got a funny beard.

This thread rules.

17. nice man, i've always been interested in an ERB but i could never bring myself to play anything more then a 4, not to mention 7 or 8 or 9s.

18. The balance doesn't seem to be affected at all and it's super comfortable to play. Also, beards become weird sometimes when you just dont shave or trim it for a couple of months. I am shaving it this weekend now that winter is over though.

19. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    Sweet

20. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, that's certainly a unique looking gt7. congrats :)