1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

got clean?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by malleable, Jul 23, 2012.

1. malleable

malleable

Nov 13, 2011
    I'm in the process of buying my first stack, and would like some recommendations. For the past few years, I've been playing a GK 115 (200 watts), which I like, though when I play with other people, it's often not loud enough.

Since I like my GK 115, I purchased a GK Neo410 and RB1001II a little over a week ago. Needless to say, I do not like this setup. It has great punch and sounds awesome with slap/pop, but I am not a fan of GK's Boost/growl (harmonic distortion), and if it isn't used, then you don't get near the volume out of the setup. I'm looking for more of a clean tone.

The other night listening to a CD, the subbass coming out of the average subwoofer in my living room was so deep and clean. I'm looking for a stack that can do this, as I really want a clean, deep tone.

Any suggestions?

2. That should be pretty terrifyingly loud. Even at 8 ohms that is putting out quite a few more watts into a more sensitive cabinet than you had before. Though some have complained that the GK neo cabs are too mid focused. Maybe try pulling down the high mids?

3. malleable

malleable

Nov 13, 2011
    Thanks for the response. Though... I'm not looking to troubleshoot the GK. I've been playing it for the past week and a half, and just don't like the tone. I'm looking for something different.

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    What type of music do you play?

Are you in a gigging band?

Define sub-bass in terms of frequency.

Sub-bass at a gig usually muddies up the mix because it steps on the kick drum.

What's your budget?

How about upgrading the bands PA instead so you can mic your rig since you like the tone of the GK115

5. malleable

malleable

Nov 13, 2011
    I play drums in a gigging band, but not bass. Though I will at some point.

As a bass player, I'm into funk, rock, hip-hop, reggae. I play a Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4. Looking for a deep, clean sound when I play my low E. When I buy a 5-string in the future, I would like those lower notes to sound just as good when it's a low B.

I bought the GK equipment at Guitar Center. It was about $1500 sticker price, and got a deal for around $1200. Would like to stay in that price range.

6. :DChilis:D

:DChilis:D

Dec 23, 2006
    from what I hear fEARful

7. fearful is a cab not an amp.

8. Lon86

Lon86

Jan 21, 2008
    Venice, CA
    Get a pre Fender SWR Bass750.
    Super clean and LOUD, and can be found for cheap now that SWR isn't popular.

Add a Big Ben and old Goliath 4x10... I bet you can find the whole thing for under a grand.

9. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    I was watching another band at a gig a couple weeks ago and the bass player had a SWR head and a Goliath 4x10 cabinet. His tone was clean and I really like it. Not as much as I like the tone of my GK rig though! :bag::D

10. Yup, I think you may be looking for a separate preamp/power amp rig with a fEARful 1515/66/T - like Burningskies amp.

11. gjbassist

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    You might also look at Carvin. The BX500 is a great amp for the price and it's got a nice clean tone.

12. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Funk, rock, and reggae is right in GKs wheel house, If you ask me.
    Not to sound like a jerk, but If you cant get enough Clean headroom from a 1001rb then your not doing something right.

13. gjbassist

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    I know it, but we have already been down this road! See this thread:http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/gk-1001rbii-410neo-900577/ Best to let the OP shop around and find something else that works better for him.

14. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Keep the Neo 410, and get a GK MB800 head.
    That doesn't use the boost feature to access all it's headroom like the 1001 does.

You'll have tons of big clean power.

15. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    A Hartke 3500 head is super loud and super clean.

16. :DChilis:D

:DChilis:D

Dec 23, 2006
    I thought he asked for a new rig :/ Aren't cabinets part of a new rig?

17. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
  18. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    He didn't specifically ask for a whol new rig; he asked for a stack with certain performance parameters.
    He indicated he liked the tone of his 115 combo, which is, more or less, and MB series head in a cab.

An MB800 with his current Neo410 would be "same, but more."

19. gjbassist

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    I agree with Chef. The issue is with the RB head. So why not keep the cabinet and get anther head that fits the OP"s needs.

20. I think the OP maybe looking for a ACME B4, 3000 watt PA amp and a good Preamp. Not going to happen for $1200 though.
    The G-K NEOs maybe too even sounding and ceramic speakers may be a better match?
    I wonder if the OP his tried the string button in......eh.