1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Got fired from my band last night.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by butchblack, Jan 25, 2009.

1. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love.

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts
    Plan is slowly straiting to formulate. I'm going to start to regularly hit some jams in the area, do a bit of networking, keep an eye on CL. I know what I enjoy doing the most, so I need to find a band that does these things. A good mix of swing and jump blues coupled with some rockier blues, up tempo and danceable, would be ideal. A chance to do some harmony and an occasional lead vocal would be icing on the cake.

Hitting the jam session this weekend reminded me of an important fact, if it ain't fun why do it? Looking back I realize I really wasn't having fun for a long while with the band. I just need to exercise patience in the search process.

To the poster who suggested I try and put something together, I much prefer being a band member as opposed to a band leader. I tried it once and didn't like the position.

As the ancient Greeks said "know thyself"

2. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love.

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts
    P.S.

Ordered some personal business cards from Vista print today

3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Its just a gig. As a bassist, thats the only attitude to take. Unless you want to start your own deal, with yourself as the one making decisions, you'll run into it often.

There are always gigs to be had Best of luck

Rob

Jeshua likes this.
  4. It sounds like to me you gave it your best shot, and it wasn't for you. I probably would have left much earlier.
    Change is a part of everything we do. I do not like it, but it is bound to happen. I was in a band once that changed from a folk/country sound to bluegrass. Nothing wrong with that, but it was the attitude that came with it ("We are going to bluegrass, and you are going to like it"-those exact words). I bowed out of the next gig and left. I had handled the finances and the bookings, which threw them for a loop, but, in my mind, they made the choice for me. I eventually returned, but on a limited basis. Afterwards, I was dismissed because they wanted to "up the talent" with a bassist who was also a singer.
    Quite stupid on their part since I owned all the recordings and studio where we recorded.:spit:
    I said all that to make this point: If something is not working, than it in all likelyhood won't. Otherwise, they did you a favor. Now you can go and do what you want to do, which is play "da blues". Good luck, and I hope the next situation works out for you.:smug: