1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Got me a bunch of picks

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by H3R3T1K, Dec 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ironically on guitar I never thought much about picks. Dunlop Tortex in a medium gauge between .6 and .88mm. Done. I don't like Celluloid as I feel they make a weird "grating" sound. The problem was finding a balance between strumming and precise alternate and tremolo picking. I prefer softer picks for the former and thicker picks for the latter. Now on bass where I don't usually play chords that choice is eliminated and I can happily get heavy gauges. I'm getting back into playing more and once my fingers on the right hand hurt I grab a pick. Funny enough it's way harder to find a pick for bass that I'm happy with. So I spent 30 bucks on picks to get a variety of Dunlop picks I've never tried, 6 of each except I got 12 of the Tortex Triangles which I know I like because I feel like bigger is better on bass. So I got:

• Tortex Triangle 1.14mm (heaviest) --> old standby
    • Tri Stubby 3mm (heaviest) --> figured I'd get the triangles since they offer it
    • Gator Grip 2mm (heaviest) --> never tried those
    • Tortex Jazz III XL 1.5mm (heaviest) --> curious about the Jazz shape, never tried it, I know I like Tortex
    • Nylon Big Stubby 3mm (heaviest) --> original big stubby shape, will compare shape and material to the Lexan Big Stubbies
    • Ultex Sharp 2mm (heaviest) --> curious about what the sharper tip does same as with the Jazz's and never tried this material
    • Jazz III XL black (Stiffos) --> never tried even the regular Jazz's and I think the non-XL ones will be too small for me

Which of these do you prefer?

PS: I just got so much Dunlop because they're most readily available here in Germany where some US-made boutique stuff is not available or really expensive.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  2. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I only use a pick on 2 songs and recently started using one of these with the hole in the middle in a heavy gauge. They seem to be better for a grip for my purpose.

upload_2017-12-1_16-17-11.

the harp unstrung likes this.
  3. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    upload_2017-12-1_13-30-5.
    Bass

upload_2017-12-1_13-31-27.
    Guitar

Never looked back.

4. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I prefer Dunlop Ultex Jazz III's (the tiny ones) or the same Clayton bass picks as above, just in 1mm.

I prefer very little flex, if any.

5. I have various ones in a bottle cap on my desk, but TBH I prefer the V-Picks for bass:

IMG_20171201_190723644.

second choice would be the triangular Tortex in the center

6. I just ordered the Screamer. It says it's the first V-Pick most people get. Will see how I like it.

I'm also curious about Claytons. Where would you suggest I start with them?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  7. I once had handful of V-Picks (won them in a raffle) & they're great. I gave them all to a local guitar player a year ago. Now the local Ibanez, Fender, PRS dealer also sells V-Picks, but don't carry the see-thru Screamer. I've got a Screamer, but it's the white one.

Don't think I've had the pleasure of using Clayton plectrums.

8. The only pick I got on hand is this:
    11837420_800.

I got into triangle picks when I started to play bass and like them. My problem with this is that it is a little small (smaller than Tortex Triangles) and the corners are too round. So the point where the string releases is not well defined (different for every string because of changing angles when moving the picking hand) unless you attack the string from a perfectly perpendicular angle. I hold the pick slightly slanted though. Not so much an issue when you play slowly but for metal playing I want to try something sharper. Also the scratchy noise from the celluloid is freaking me out.

I actually think the V-Picks shredder might become my weapon of choice (pun intended):

12299812_800.

They say on their website that bass players love it, too.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  9. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

H3R3T1K , are you primarily a finger player who is learning to use a pick, or a pick player who is learning to play the bass? sorry: it wasn't clear to me. thanks.

10. Hi there. I'm learning to play the bass. Actually once I got the hang of the fingerstyle (coming from guitar) I came to prefer it as I feel like I have more control. My problem is the difficulty of getting a heavy tone. Yes you can do it but to do it effectively you need to mash the strings and employ floating thumb which I'm not a fan of. I like a permanent anchor on the pickup. So I'm doing both. Guess I'm looking for the pick of destiny...

the harp unstrung and JRA like this.
  11. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    Mostly use my fingers--but if I use a pick it's likely a Tortex 1.14 mm--which is the main one I use on guitar.
    But it could be something else similar.

(I thought I had my pick pics on this computer--but I guess not)

12. 24477508006.MAIN.
    This! It's the pick of destiny! I've gotten myself a selection of most Dunlop picks and some Dava, Fender and V-Picks as well and I gotta say this thing is amazing. It's a Primetone 508 meaning it's 5mm thick (I think this is the thickest of all Dunlop picks) and has a sharp tip (not really sharp compared to say a Tortex Sharp but yeah). First of all it's thick. 2mm thicker than the thickest Big Stubby (3mm). It's got the indent that the Big Stubby has plus the cuts which makes for a perfect grip. The size is perfect. It's the same "standard" size just really thick which makes you feel like you really got something in between your fingers. You have a relaxed grip because you know it's not going anywhere. The point is not as sharp as on a Big Stubby and nowwhere near as sharp as on a V-Picks Screamer. What makes this pick so awesome though is the material (polycarbonate). It's soft-ish (more rubbery than plasticy) which means there is no "grating" sound when you play like you get from Tortex, celluloid and to a lesser degree nylon. It's like a perfect medium between pick and fingers, tone-wise. The combination of shape, material (grip!!!) and the resulting tone really makes this pick.

Anybody using this? It's not cheap but imho totally worth it. Dunlop says it's bright which it is not and recommends it for Jazz and Gypsy Jazz. Never heard of the latter genre. Anyways, this is good!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  13. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
  14. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    image.
    These are the 3 I flip flop with.

15. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    Dunlop Ultex Triangle 1.14:

dunlop-ultex-triangle-1.14mm_m.

What I like about them:

- They are bigger and do have more surface area to hold/apply pressure to strum the thick strings.
    - They are less flexible and more accurate when I play faster.
    - They have a good grip.
    - They have the same corner on every side so when they flip in my hands, all corners are the same.
    - They are made of a stiffer material that gives you that extra 'clank'.

What I don't like:

- They are very translucent (almost transparent on dark stages which is the case most of the times) that when you drop them on the floor, it is hard to find them. I wish they had bright neon colors like neon green.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  16. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Non of those, all of them too heavy for me.

I prefer a relatively thin and flexible pick, held close to the the tip of it and then only using the very edge of that tip to strike the strings with.

I feel like I get more control over my picking that way without risking to attack the strings too hard or getting stuck on a string when going back and forth

My go to pick for bass is a Dunlop USA Nylon 0.73 pick.

Like this:
    31PsB6eopSL.

Gluvhand and the harp unstrung like this.
  17. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    That looks good. My choice is the standard stubby 2mm which I turn upside down. Gave up on the 3mm pretty quick - the extra thickness makes it more ungainly and its unnecessarily thick seeing as there's no flex at all in either. The 2mm fits more snuggly, in other words. From my perspective, no need for any other picks, no matter what I'm playing. I'd give the pick of destiny a go though, upside down :) Good luck with it.

H3R3T1K likes this.
  18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I keep a wide variety if picks around and use different ones for different attacks, styles and tones. But if I had to choose only three to keep it would be the standard shape Tortex .60, .73 and .88. (aka orange, yellow and green)
    jim-dunlop-tortex-picks-4-for-1-14.

Enjoy your pick picking journey.

19. It's weird I got the 3mm Big Stubby and what you say is true. I'd rather it be thinner. But with the POD (pick of destiny) the extra thickness somehow feels great. I say give it a try.

Tom Bomb likes this.
  20. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Will do :thumbsup:

1286060840--100x100. These are the ones I use. And initially I was only playing guitar with them. I actually don't need picks for bass playing but they're pretty cool, as it turns out, especially if you're going after a Bobby Vega kind of groove - Bobby - he's a legend - has a different grip too. But a pick's a pick - no holds barred. The world's your oyster.

I've been using these little purple picks for well over twenty years and I only just learnt today what they're actually made of :laugh: My aim is to have the least noisy, least clacky attack possible and these have me in that ballpark. They're fast and accurate too - the rigidity of the lexan, and its glass-like nature, has a lot to do with this. Before I use them, I also sand off the molding marks and polish them up with a nail buff - I also do this if there's any wear after use but I try and look after them :smug: This step's not essential, just part of the ritual, but it does keep them quiet and they feel so nice and smooth.

The smoother and slicker the better - that's the logic anyway. And the diminutive size, for me, is perfect :) Along these lines, PODs may not quite fit the bill but I'll still have a crack at that fateful pick. New noises can always be harnessed and gainfully employed somehow ;) Looking forward to the adventure. Cheers!