1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Got my first GK head yesterday (700RBII content!)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jmattbassplaya, Jun 28, 2012.

1. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    And all I can say is "WOW!" :hyper::bassist::bassist::hyper:

I've used many different heads over the years (including a lot of top-of-the-line amps such as the Ampeg SVT, Aguilar DB750, and Mesa 400+) and I can say without a doubt that this head can run with the best of them! I'm even hesitant to say this head is 'a good deal for the money' because that (to me at least) implies that for more money you could do better, and I'm not sure that's the case here. This head definitely stands on it's own and it in no way seems to be of lesser quality than any other high-end head that I have owned.

I just feel bad that it has taken me this long to come around to Gallien Krueger. For the longest time I always thought they were just a good option for bassists on a budget and that they were (in all honesty) kinda cheap. Because of that, I have stayed away from them for years and years, and boy was I ever wrong to think that :D I almost feel inclined to sell off my DB750 now because I'm digging the 700RBII THAT much. And for half the weight and a quarter of a price I'm just astounded.

Now I just need to pick myself up a cab from GK to complete the ensemble. Maybe the Neo 4x12 or 8x10 :cool:

2. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    Congrats, these are great heads. Not a micro but I found it very easy to move. Both cab choices you have will do great. I used mine with a fEARful and it rocked!

3. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    I'm playing through my 700rb head right now! Welcome to the club!

4. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I had one for years. Great head. I would go with a pair of GK 212 NEO cabs instead of one big cab. Flexibility.
    Then get a MB200 head for a backup, just in case. Fits under the car seat.

:bassist:

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'm trying to find a way to ditch this Markbass LMIII and get one myself!

6. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    Congrats on the 700rb ii,i've been using mine for four yrs,
    agreed a GK 212 would go nicely with it..

7. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    It's one of those heads that everybody who's ever had one, likes. It's reliable, simple to use, sounds great and has plenty of oomph.

8. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    jmattbassplaya I was just like you with GK (and Fender basses) it took me ten years to get my first GK (400RB II) and it's a great head and super simple.

P.S. my main bass (and only electric) is my Pbass:D

9. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Oh yea man, get the 412 NEO, that's exactly what I'm using with my 700RB II. It KILLS. However, I bet an 810 kills just as well!

10. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    +1

11. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    There's a lot of advantages to having two smaller cabs instead of BIG one.

easy to move
    One blows, still have one
    small gig, use one
    boomy stage, unplug the lower cab
    left one at rehearsal, still have one for gig
    big gig, use both
    cabinets provide natural baffle which decreases distortion

:bassist:

12. Working Bass

Working Bass Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2006
    London, ENGLAND
    I really like mine. I use it with an Ampeg 410HE - sounds great in bars clubs with a blues/R&B band.

13. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    I've been running my 1001RB II head through two 1X15 NEOs for the last 6 years and I still say WOW! whenever I play..

Glad you're on board :bassist:

14. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    Instead of the 810, try the 412. I've seen a lot of professional bassists use them at concerts (American Idol, Brooks and Dunn, Reba)

15. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
    The GK RB sound is one of the classic sounds that has stood the test of time.

16. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Thanks, man! Me too :) It's just crazy that I used to think that in order to get a great tone you had to spend $$$. If I had just started with GK from the get-go I would of saved myself a lot of money and headache over the years! :D

That said, I still think I'm digging the idea of one large cabinet. I currently use two GB Neox212ts, and since I can't use both with the GK (together they go down to 2ohms), I figured I'd sell one, use the other as a rehearsal cab, and then pick up a fridge to use as my 'big rig'. Getting two smaller cabs would make me feel the need to sell off both GBs, and TBH I think I'd miss having at least one of these cabs around.

17. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    I've seen A LOT of people suggest the 4x12. They seem to get a very good rep around here. Funny enough, I think I've only heard of two or three people on the forums who have used/owned the 8x10. There doesn't seem to be many comparisons between the two cabs (despite there being a good number of threads asking if someone has compared the two :meh:).

18. Just recently got 2 2x12s to play the same amp through. Played a gig the other night with them and another bassist in another band had the 4x12. They both sounded killer, but he was jealous that I was able to move mine a bit easier.

19. CONGRATS! I still have my 700rbII and SBX410 cabs though I'm using an SVT rig for my 70's project. I have 3separate rigs (Ampeg, GK, Mesa,) and my 700rbII is my goto head for most occasions. Enjoy!

20. Phatbottom

Phatbottom

Jan 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    +1 on having a backup.
    I love my 800rb and 700rb-ii but i have had reliability issues with both. So now i'm stuck with my Markbass 800LMT.

I miss the sweet tonezzz.