Got the Palatino... WOW !!

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Nohandles, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Ok I'll have to eat my words about refinishing the Palatino. Tuesday night it came and we did not hear the UPS man from the family room so it sat on the porch intil 12:30 when we let the dogs out. Even though I should have waited I didn't, had to have a little peek. And, Wow was I happy with what little I saw. The next morning I got up an extra hour early 5 AM and put it together. When I got home I finished tuning it up and played a while before my pratice. I have to say I am very impressed with this bass. Not only does it look good but it was set up perfectly and its sound it very nice even with the factory strings. I did not find the bridge to be a bad one either! The only things I am changing for now it the strings and having a case made that is better padded.
    I would recomend this bass to anyone who wants to play ERB
    I 'll keep you posted in the future as I learn more.
  2. Cool! Please please please keep us updated on this bass. I know there are other threads about this bass, but a fresh outlook is helpful too. I have been GASsing to order one of these babies for about a month now.

Can you give us more details about specs and construction, what you like and don't like about it, how it sounds pizz. and arco?

Thanks a million!
  3. vanderbrook

vanderbrook Some days, I miss frets... Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Thanks for posting your initial impressions. As someone who would like to find an affordable EUB (for scenarios into which I'd rather not bring my carved bass) I'm always interested to read others' experiences. Your impressions certainly seem to be at odds with many who have tried and/or acquired the Palatinos. Perhaps you got lucky? I see you already have a Real Bass, so I'm inclined to put more weight behind your words than those of some of the bass guitarists who have experimented with the Palatinos as an avenue to playing upright.

I gather you like the sound of the bass. Just wondering what kind of amp (and preamp?) you've tried it with.

I'll be interested to see more from you regarding the Palatino. At the moment, I'm kind-of waiting for a used Azola to show up on eBay, and trying not to rush out and order one of the Ergos (which I like, except for the lack of an ebony fingerboard). I may have to take another look at the Palatino.

Again, thanks.
  4. Hermes

Dec 9, 2005
    I've had mine a few weeks now and I love it. Very playable and looks great. Not light though - probably weighs more than an acoustic.

Can you get the little headset jack thing in the back to work? I've tried my walkman headphones and I don't hear anything even with a new battery.
  5. Yes the jack works on mine,, I even took it to work and pluged it into my computer sheakers in my room pulled out the guitar and mando and had a jam at lunch with some friends at work. I am really happy with this bass. Check to see if one of the wires are disconected from the jack. they may not have gotten a good solder job on it.
    I want a new better padded bag for it the one is comes with offers no protection and my peg head proves that. O well I'll just get out the laquer sticks and pepair it!
  6. Yes I do like the sound of it. And as I have had time to exrerment with it I'm liking it even more. I order D' Adderio Hybrids for it last night.
    I have tried it in my friends California Blond amp direct and it sounded great once I learned to turn up the volume on the amp and turn it down on the bass. last night I played it through a 30 watt Drive bass amp and through my K&K pre amp and this was even better. I think I'm on the way now some expermenting and tweaking will take me where I want to go with it. I traces the bridge before I installed it and I'm going to make a new harder one for it from some left over maple from a guitar I built a few years back.
    As far as basses go I 've had my hand on 40? 50? different ones at festivals and I believe almost anything can get better sounds if the right combo and set up is done on it. I've only found one bass I didn't like. It was my first bass a Palatino acoustic. I did everything I could to get to sound like it should but never got where I wanted it. I nick named it the 2X4 even thought a 2X4 would have sounded better.
    I would not hesitate to get an Electric at this point.
  7. I haven't tried arco yet, thats today. But as far a Pizz goes I am very happy with it. I think with the new strings it will really come to life for me. D'Adderio Hybrids.
    I don't often say "just do it" but this time I will say to "just do it" As far as fit and finish Yes there are a few insignificent details that are not bad but just ok. I trought it would be a night mare to balance it but I have a thin body Jazz bass and its just like balancing it. I was so pleasently suprised when I took it out of the box put it together and it was set up so nicely. I will today lower the E-string down. I like my strings to be .005 to.007 at nut. I don't have anyting I don't like about it as far as the bass its self goes. But the bag is not very good. I want get get a custom one for it or I may even make it myself if I can find anyone to do it.
    Just for the record I've been playing for 30 years and I have built over 300 stringed instruments. Played bass fro the last 4 years and it has been a challenge for me how to understand not playing a lead instrument. I will continue to keep you update as new developments come up.
  8. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT

you're talking about these?

I've always heard not-so-good reviews about them, but they look fun for the price. Is it easy to access the upper registers?
  9. That all I've ever heard but the one I have is really nice. Now that I have had a week to work with it I like it even more. With the pre amp in line now I can get a real good acoustic sound out of it. New string will take nme the rest of the way, hope the come today!
    I feel even stronger about its value. They have not been out long and I'm sure they hear us talking about quality and that usually them make improvements.
    I play a lot in the upper registers. Its like playing a thin body jazz bass accept you can get your arm in a better position for playing. If you have been playing a full size acoustic then it will take a little getting use to. I happen to have a jazz bass also so I was half way there already.
    I will share my 2 biggest complaints.
    1- The bag is JUNK! dented the peg head the second day. Had to get out the laquer sticks and repair that. Gerr!
    2- The other complaint "FIXABLE THOUGH" the little bar is 2 thin 3/8 dia and leaves you sore after an hour or so of play. It also offers little control in regards to holding the bass against you.
    I'm a model maker/designer so I am going to design a simi ridged part that simulates the full size bass and alows for some freedom to set it in different positions.
    I don't think that's to bad for a bass like this. For the $
    I will post a picture when I get the equipment altered.
  10. The side bar is removable, right? Can you play the bass without it attached?

I would think you could, as long as your endpin has a non-slip, non-pivoting cap or foot on it.

The side bar is kind of tacky looking. :meh:
  11. The side bar is in fact removable and you can play it without it being installed. I like it in place so it keeps the bass at the same distance from me as the full sized one's. I did take it out when I have pushed in the end pin and played it sitting down, I like that especially when I've stood up and played most of the night.
    I like the side bar on it. The bass has a retro/modern design that until you see it person really doe's not register how nice it looks complete.