Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got to try the New Nordstrand NP5 pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Nino Valenti, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    [​IMG]

I got the NP5 from Carey about a week ago. Very cool looking with the angled pole pieces. I took apart my Geddy Vee, Routed for the P pickup and made a new pickguard for it JUST to try the p/u out. :)

I compared it to the NP4 in my Blue P bass. Both basses have the same wood selections (Swamp Ash body with maple/maple necks) so I was able to get a good comparison. The NP4 is a lot brighter and much more aggressive. The NP5 is nice and warm but not at all muddy.

A few months ago, I sent the Blue P to 2 TBers for a review and they both started that the bass was very bright. If the NP4 sounded like the NP5, I think I would of gotten rave reviews on the sound of the bass.

I brought the Geddy Vee to work and I compared it to a Sadowsky P5 bass. This time, the Sadowsky bass had an Alder body w/ Rosewood board. The Sad. p/u had a bit more emphasis on the high mids where the NP5 was slightly deeper sounding with a little less out put.

My over all impressions are that the p/u is AWESOME!!!! I'm going to build 2 basses with the p/u right away (Both PJ5's), one for a customer and one for Stock.

I thought to myself, it doesn't matter what I thought of the pickup. I called Carey and offered to ship my bass to him so he can give a listen to the pickup and make any tweaks he may feel it needs. After all, he has to be happy with it before me. I personally wouldn't change a thing.

[​IMG]

2. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    So now it's a Geddy Pee??

:)

3. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Why do I have the sudden urge to go to the bathroom? :D

4. ganga

ganga

Jul 14, 2005
    ROFL.. :D

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Hey Nino!

Do you think I could get my Valenti fitted with those pickups?

6. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    The neck p/u is not a problem. The Bridge position pickup won't fit correctly. They're different dimensions then the EMG 40's. :(

I'll look into it for you, though.

7. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    We may possibly have a solution for the EMG 40 size pickups...

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Two great posts in a row!

If not in this bass, I am either ordering a guitar or a 4 string bass as soon as my band sorts out what we're doing. Either one will have Nordstrands.

9. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Incredible bass Nino! Have you tried the duncan pickup that mike lull uses? I'm curious how it stacks up to the other two.

10. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    No, I haven't.

11. Does the standard jazz bridge pickup position work well for a P/J? When I talked to Roger at Lull about converting my jazz to a P/J, he said that they move the bridge pickup closer to the bridge to avoid frequency cancellation problems on their P/Js.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That poor bass. Or poor me, whichever way you want to put it.

13. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Any idea when the Nordstrand NP-5 will be available? I have a bass that's on hold until I can purchase one of these ...

well, I really need two as there is also this second bass ... but current cash flow will only allow me to do one at a time.

All the best,

R

14. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    The pickup is now available. I have tested it extensively and I like it. So, it's going into production today.

15. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    Woooo-Hooooo!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

I have confirmed that I'm now in the que for delivery! Definitely looking forward to getting this loaded into the new bass.

Carey - what do you recommend as a complimenting p/u for a P/J combo? I really love the tone of the NJ4SE's and am debating between something similar to this or a ballsy single-coil? This will be in an alder core body with maple/rosewood neck, and an 18v OBP-1.

All the best,

R

16. If you like the se's go for them. that way both neck and bridge p-ups will be hum canceling. Its a bit of an upgrade but well worth it.

17. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    but alas ... this will be a 5-string that's utilizing a NP-5, and unfortunately the NJ4SE's are only good for a 4-string.

After further considerations, I believe I'll be using a MM5.4 quad coil to compliment the NP-5

R

18. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    But Carey is working on an NJ5SE.

19. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Exactly! I've been waiting (and bugin' Carey) for it since the day I put the NJ5st on my bass.
    Great pups, btw, but I'm always curious to try something new!
    Carey told me to be patient, with all the moving, new Js and the customs basses, he's a little busy!

'nice Sunday

Mo'

20. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nino...

The one you build for stock better have a rosewood fretboard with blocks and matching headstock...

:D