Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gotoh 201

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TJBass, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Is it worth putting on my Fender STD Jazz? My saddles are shot so I'd like to replace the whole bridge, will the gotoh bolt on without any modifications? Thanks in advance...

2. Worth it, depends on what you are hoping to get with the
    change.

If you like your sound now, I would suggest just purchasing a replacement stock Fender bridge.

If you wish to have more sustain, get the Gotoh 201. The Gotoh 201 will bolt on to most Fenders without modifications.

Another thought, you can just replace the saddles for a less expensive fix!

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/partsalesfender2.htm

http://www.angela.com/catalog/guitar-parts/bass.html

Good luck with your choice!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I threw the 201 on my standard Jazz, and didn't notice a whole lot of extra sustain, if any at all. It is a nice, beefier bridge, though, and has slots for your saddle screws, which is an improvement over the Fender design. And it's $20. C'mon. It screws directly in, no mods necessary.

4. Where did you get a 201 for $20?

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Oh, wow- I just checked Warmoth, where I bought my chrome 201 for $20 about two years ago. It appears they jacked up the prices a little bit. Sorry about the confusion- I had no idea the prices went up. Warmoth used to sell them for cheaper than they do now.

6. I haven't seen Gotoh 201's for 20 bucks in years, they are close to the same price as the Bad Ass II, that IMO, is why some people have a hard time choosing between the two bridges.

The Gotoh is just as sturdie as the Bad Ass II and I believe it's a few $ cheaper, hey you also don't have to worry about filing the slots in the bridge saddles either!

Let us know how the switch goes for you!

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I got my Gotoh 201's from warmoth last year for 23 bucks each(for chrome)

On my fretless, the screws stripped right out of the saddles about a month after getting it.

On my fretted Jazz, the bridge turned green! Never had that happen before, and I clean my basses often.

The gotoh bolts right on. No mods needed.

Oh, as far as the vintage style bridge Fender uses sometimes-like on the MIM pbass deluxe-that bridge is pretty good IMHO. I left it alone, because it seemed so much better than the crappy standard bridges Fender uses now.

But the Gotoh is a nice bridge IMO. I think you'll like it.

Treena, nice to see you around here again! :hyper:

8. I've got a Gotoh 201 on my Yamaha RBX270F.
    no problems with it, added a bit of lows, sustain and clarity ie. more of the sound of the string, less of the body.

FWIW it's lighter than the BadassII on my Warmoth P.

9. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    A couple of thoughts on the 201 bridge:

* the sound is tighter and more focused than a Fender bridge. Be sure it's what you want...I prefer the Fender sound and feel.

* no mods as far as screw patterns go, but because the plate is thicker and the saddles are larger, you'll likely need to shim the neck slightly to get the strings low enough.