Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gotoh 206 bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by funkedupbass, Jul 25, 2005.

1. I was wondering if anyone has tried out the Gotoh 206 bridge and what they liked/disliked about it. How does it stack up against the badass 2?
    any comments about the 206 are appreciated.
    thanks,
    -eric

2. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I have one on a Jazz bass, and another on a custom fretless 4 string. I really like the way you can lock the string spacing and the intonation in place. I had some buzzing problems with the baddass 2 because of the shallow string break angle at the back of the bridge. No such problem with the Gotoh. Warmoth carries them the last time I checked. You will probably have to drill a couple of extra holes.This is probably the best designed 4 string bridge I've ever seen.I don't think you can go wrong.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I have an Ibanez Soundgear 1000E from the early era when they used the 206 bridge. I very much like this bridge and prefer it to any other bridge they used later on.

4. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    +1 i have one on my Warmoth '51 P

5. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I've got one on my Ibanez RB800, as the one that I got with it was pretty much broken when I got it (I just never messed with the intonation, so it was fine until I tried...or was I changing strings?) Nonetheless, its a solid bridge, altho in my opinion a pain to set the intonation because you have to unscrew the screw holding down the saddle (although it keeps the saddle from moving) and then turn the screw for the saddle to move.

Overall, its good.

6. any idea how it stacks up against the badass bridge? weigth, sustain, stability, sound....etc..
    thanks again,
    -eric

7. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I want to know too! :hyper:

8. They are comparable in weight and size but with different mounting. I used one on my first SX hot rod

So no this is no a "Drop in" replacement. That's what you really wanted to hear isn't it? ;)

The locking features beat the BAII hands down.

9. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    it's my favorite bridge to use. It's easy to work with, has a great weight/mass and can be used either top loading or string thru, which is typically how I like to have my bodies drilled out.
    I used to use the BAII, but i think for the reasons stated by me and everyone else, I think that the 206 kicks the BAIIs butt.

10. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Hey Hambone, can I use the gotoh 206 with a SX p-bass shortscale? I want to mod it to string thru, but if this is the same size footprint as the BadassII it might not fit?

If it doesnt any other recommendations for a string thru bridge that isnt too expensive?

thanks!