Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

grafting decorative scroll on finished bass

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Alexi David, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I want to know if it is possible to graft on a decorative scroll to an already finished bass. Could it be as simple as taking off wood from the current scroll, then gluing on the decorative scroll (in a cavity)?

Or do you recommend that they should only be carved from the beginning, when the neck is made?

thank

Alexi

2. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    All scrolls are decorative, not sure what you mean exactly.

3. Are you talking about the entire scroll, or just the volutes?

4. bassbaterie

bassbaterie

Dec 14, 2003
    Houston Texas
    Director, Quantum Bass Center
    ya mean like this?

from kingdoublebass.com. they can put "Anything" on top of your bass. It's a molded resin sculture. You would have to ask them how they get the graft to take.

5. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    what I mean: You have a bass with a regular old scroll. You chop it off at the top, and graft on say, a lionhead.

6. This has been done alot...right luthiers?

7. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Hmm, interesting. I've emailed them for more info. Preferably though, I'd like it to be wood that'd be grafted on.

8. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    It sounds like you're looking for a scroll graft. Not that I'm out to question your judgement at all Alexi, but is the bass of the value that the original maker's work should remain intact?

It sounds like a pretty spendy operation, but I'm sure your luthier can give you a quote.

9. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    No, it's a 2,500 Christopher hybrid.

The point of this thread is to examine options which do not include a complete scroll replacement, which is just way too expensive of a job to do just for cosmetics. Again, this is no expensive bass that I'm concerned about its value or anything.....

....and...I don't have a luthier. the whole country has no bass luthier, actually.

10. Can you imagine a luthierless country......? My God!!

11. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Don't have to....WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :crying: :crying: :crying:

12. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If you are strictly interested in the cosmetic additive of some sort of scroll ( think I'd like to have a burro's head on mine), it certainly seems within the realm of possibilities.

If I were to attempt it, I would probably carve, cast, or otherwise acquire said head, and hollow it out as much as possible. The idea being that you remove as little as possible of the original scroll, maybe just the volutes and a trim of the front and back, and the head simply ships over it.

This seems the the least likely compromise of structure and keeps the mass of the neck mostly intact.

13. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC

Looks like I'm about to de-rail my own thread.....

Is This is a burro? Is that what they use in Taco Bell for Burritos?

Attached Files:

14. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I once grafted a sconce onto my bass. the lighting in this club i was playing was jsut awful... Unfortunately i kept tripping over the electric cord and the band thought that was a cue to start a Jig.

15. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    LOL

Don, do you have a photo of this?

16. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

Yes. I don't think there is any association with burrito. Taco Bell alledges those are made with beef or chicken.

I just love burros. Mules also. I grew up on a farm and they were always my favorite.

Plus, there are plenty of basses out there with lions, and tigers and bears (oh my) but I have never seen an ass on the scroll of a bass.

17. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I have seen plenty of asses playing the bass...

18. bassbaterie

bassbaterie

Dec 14, 2003
    Houston Texas
    Director, Quantum Bass Center
    My friend owns this cello. It is a graft. Won't fit in any cello case on the market, so we're going to build one for it.

19. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    This morning my brother sent me a jpg of a unique DB constructed from two nice bare asses ... with TWO scrolls ... but I don't think I dare post it here :-(

20. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    So, I guess the answer is yes then, seeing this example. Very Nice.

You know what I wouldn't want to see as a scroll? Ed McMahon smiling.