Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Graphing calculators?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FoxfireBass, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Hey all,

I've been using a TI-83+ Silver Edition for the past two years, and recently, it's died on me. Changing batteries (back up battery included) does nothing; I've tried multiple sets of triple As. Thus, I believe this calculator is dead and it's time to get a new one (Though I'm really surprised it didn't last longer :confused: ). I've already checked if the text was really light and things like that.

Now, next year I'll be doing pre-calc, trig, etc etc so I'd like a calculator similar to the TI-83+ Silver Edition (I like the TI GUI, what can I say? ;))

Any suggestions? Should I just pick up another TI-83+ Silver Edition? (I believe they're quite a bit cheaper nowadays).

Thanks much. :)

2. I have a basic TI-83 plus, it gets the job done. I don't know how it works down in Chicago, but we can't use graphing calculators on tests for obvious reasons. Might want to consider that before dishing out the cash. However it's very handy and graphing comes in real useful in Calculus 1 and 2.

3. Apparently here, they don't let people use TI-89s on tests (as it simplifies work and keeps things very simple certain times; for example, if you do problems with radicals, I've heard it returns the answer WITH radicals instead of in decimals and stuff).

I'm thinking of going to pick up a TI-84+, but I'll see...

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I had a sweet graphing calculator that had time travel powers but I sold it on Ebay.

brad cook

5. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I have a Ti-84+. It's nice and is essentally the same as the 83+ but is more powerful.

6. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    i just picked up a TI-84 regular, and that does it for me. I got mine, off of ebay for 80bucks plus shipping, which is really good. Amazingly, there are many similar deals on brand new calculators.

So, if you are wondering where to get the calc, go to ebay for sure.

Over here in oregon, we can use any calculator as long as it doesnt have a QWERTY keyboard, but i have a feelign that the the TI-89 titanium will soon be outlawed.

The 89 is way overkill for anything in highschool as most AP calc teachers wont let you use the darn thing on tests. It will actually be a hinderance as far as learning goes, because of how much work it does for you.

The 84 is good, and the 84+ has a little more memory and a larger price. I personally dont need the extra space, as it holds all of my games and still runs as fast as ever.

well, thats what i know-
    Slick