Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Great gig dolly

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I recently purchased one of These (the superlite model), and I gotta say it's an incredibly useful little gadget. Holds more weight than any single DBer would ever need to lug, can go up and down stairs with no problems, folds small enough to fit behind a compact car seat, and even has a built-in bungee cable to secure everything. Kinda pricey, but a real time and space saver. Just a heads up.

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    http://www.thebestthings.com/handtrucks/standard.htm
    I've been using one of these for years, but mine has the extended tongue instead of the short one pictured here. The folding handle has the advantage that it doesn't bend and become inoperable as the telescoping ones tend to.

3. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Yeah, I've got one too -- the Superlite. Lee Valley Tools has been selling them for years. I caught onto it through them because they're a woodworking tool joint and Canadian to boot, eh? So it caught the attention of this bass-gear schlepping Canadian woodworker.

Set me back about $125 Canuckistani dollars but it's a great rig. My main vehicle is a minivan and this little puppy folds up and lives under the rear seat. Never leaves the van.

You need big wheels to deal with snow and ice, though. For much of the winter I forget about the dolly.

BTW, I've seen cheap versions of these things and I wouldn't bother with those -- the telescoping handles feel like tinfoil. This unit is very well made. Looks like it's US$99 at Lee Valley (who also have an American shipping origin.)

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I've been through two of these, and while they're great while they last, on both of mine the little blue fastening clips where the handles fold up have given out...for the past 6 months I've been using my second one duct taped together in the "folded out" position. Hope the new one does better.

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Are you sure that you have the real RuXXac? There are a lot of copies out there. The RuXXacs are guaranteed for life, and neither my father or I have had to even have one repaired.

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    They're both real Ruxxac dollies...maybe I could get replacement parts? That would be nice. Don't know if I still have the receipts, though.

7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I don't know that you need a receipt.

8. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've been using a very similar cart from OSH - I've had it for a few years and it's been indispensible, both for my gigging stuff (which packs neatly on the trolley while I wheel the bass with the other hand) and for houshold stuff - even moving furniture.

Ray's right though - after a lot of abuse the tubing gets a little deformed and it can be difficult to extend the handle. I've kept this managable by lubricating regularly with silicone lubricant.

While at OSH yesterday I noticed that the price had been reduced since I bought it to $45 or so - how much was the one you bought, Chris?

9. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    A guy at my fathers work welded a dolly for me out of some heavy steel or aluminum and we threw coasters on it. Too bad it is MIA after an out of town show... It fit my cab PERFECTLY!

He also made little rack mountable diamondplate covers for unused rack spaces... Made it look sort of Mesa Boogie-ish

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Andy - mine was about $120, but I bought it in a camera store rather than online.

11. I've been using this one as well. I got mine at Lee Valley Tools in Ottawa. I've had it for about seven years with no problems other than having to tighten it up every six to eight months.

12. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Same here. Bought mine in about 2000. My dad's is two or three years older.

13. mburd

mburd

Aug 20, 2004
    Maine
    I needed a couple clips for my Ruxxac cart a while back. They were shipped to me promply at no cost. I think I've had mine (and used it hard) for about 10 years. I can dig out the contact info if anyone needs it.

14. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Ooh, please do. I could fix both of mine and give the extra one to a needy student. :)

15. mburd

mburd

Aug 20, 2004
    Maine
    Here's what I have circa 2002:

Ravana Avery (R_Avery@Faultless.com)
    Ruxxac Cart Division
    Faultless Starch / Bon Ami Company
    1025 W. 8th Street, Kansas City, MO 64101-1200 info@faultless.com

16. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Emailed them last week, and got a reply today that they'd be happy to send the replacement parts. Thanks!

17. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Does anyone know where you can purchase the Ruxxac in the US (not online)? I'd like to try to pick one up today if possible.

18. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

They told me that the particular model I have is being discontinued. Not sure why, but you could email Sheila there and ask if they have any comparable new products.