1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Greco Ric Copy - Bite or No?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OPBASSMAN1994, Jun 11, 2011.

1. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    I want a Ric, but I also want to get an upright. I also would enjoy the chance to mod a ric without having to worry about modding a 2K instrument. (Badass II bridge, anybody? :D)

Here's the link:

Greco RB700N Japanese Old Used Electric Bass L76 | eBay

So here's the question: Bite or No Bite?

2. for that cheap i would.

3. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    pretty nice lookin' !!

4. There's still 7 days on the auction, so doubtful it'll stay that low. These basses are supposedly fairly decent from what I've heard.

5. AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit Metro, MI USA
    Those are very good, among the best of the copies. It IS still a copy, but I'd hit that.

6. gtvrb

gtvrb

Jul 1, 2010
    Ouch. $140 shipping. That seems really steep.

7. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Now what happens when someone beats you on the bid and posts that same bass as an NBD? Sad times. :(

8. arsie

arsie

Jan 19, 2011
    Singapore
    The seller is in Japan.

9. bunnykeeper

bunnykeeper

May 28, 2011
    Japan
    Greco is a well-known and respected brand in Japan. Used Grecos in good condition seem to go for quite a bit.

10. It's probably going to be pretty expensive by the end of the auction. Looks very nice though.

11. Hi. Hope this may help you.

I think this is a PMB800 - I've got one and it is VERY nice!

PMB - Paul McCartney Bass. :)

See here. Flat Eric's Bass & Guitar Collection: Ibanez 2459B Destroyer and a Greco "Rickenfaker". . . . .

I have two other Ric "Tributes" both Aria, which are also nice but not as nice as the Greco. :)

Cheers. :)

12. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
  13. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

Greco's are one of the best Ric copies. With due respect to those Indie basses, the Greco knocks them into a cocked hat with respect to their accuracy and construction. There really isn't much that sets them apart from a genuine Ric except that the body wings thickness is made up from two pieces of wood laminated together, the pups are obviously different and some of the dimensions vary slightly from my '73 4001 but otherwise....

14. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    So if it stays within my range, go for it?

140 dollar shipping is a steep.....

15. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    It probably won't reach the end of the auction, RIC will have ebay shut it down Monday morning.
    If it had a BIN, now would be the time to use it.

Nice looking 'S' model copy. I never knew they copied the S models (non deluxe models: no binding, mono out, dot position markers) until recently.

16. Good luck. Looks nice.

Dunno if Ric can shut down an auction from Japan, but I'd message him for contact details in case the auction DOES get pulled.

17. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    Can an auction for a 30 year old bass get shut down? Anyways, if that bass stays in your price range I would jump on it, looks really nice. I've always wanted a Rick but never had the cash for even a cheap copy! If you get it, be sure to post pictures and videos and what not, I am very curiouse as to how this sounds.

18. MOTORHEADBANGER

MOTORHEADBANGER Spud-boy looking for a real tomato

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    I'd go for it. The Greco and Univox Ric copies were the best as far as being accurate to the real thing. The Greco copies are one of the few that have the feel and sound of an actual 70's 4001.

19. with that shipping price id say your max bid should be $350

20. I'd do it, but I wouldn't go above $450 or so shipped. That's just me, tho.