1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Greetings all! Newbie from Minneapolis

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by brgtr3, Jan 20, 2019.

1. brgtr3

brgtr3

Jan 20, 2019
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hi all! I just turned 60 last month, and have always loved the bass guitar. However, I have never played ANY instrument, nor do I have any musical talent (my wife won't even let me sing in the shower or play the radio)!

But, I really want to prove to myself that I can learn to play. And I am starting with a a series of 4 private lessons tomorrow. I think what I might lack in prior musical knowledge is (hopefully) offset by a real desire to prove that I can do this.

Am I crazy? I have been researching for a month now, and want to do this. Obviously, no expectations of being a great player, but if I can learn to play even at a very basic level, I will feel that I've accomplished a big goal.

I bought a small used practice amp (Traynor Bass Mate 25-10), and will be borrowing my brother-in-laws bass, although I'm not even sure what kind it is. Ideally, I would like to buy my own Precision... an American built of some type. I have the $$ to get what I want, and I think if I get a higher end (perhaps a Pro?), I would have a good vested interest in it to keep me going and learning.

Any words of wisdom appreciated!

Haunted House and DrThumpenstein like this.
  2. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    None
    You are starting out on the right foot:
    1. Lessons
    2. A borrowed bass. Have your teacher look at it and see if it needs a setup, make sure that it will serve your needs. If it needs a setup, you'll give your brother in-law's bass back to him in better shape than you got it. If it's ready to go, play it until you know what you want. If it's just not a viable instrument, see what's available to try out. Search Talkbass for threads about starter basses. You'll want some experience before trying to figure out what your dream bass might end up being. You'll know this by trying lots of different types and styles, ideally over a number of weeks or months.
    3. You have desire to learn and willingness to put the time in to develop skills.
    4. You've found Talkbass, a rich source of useful advice, meaningless drivel, humor, instruction, and all things bass. Welcome!
    5. A nice little practice amp. Wait to develop some skills before sharing with the neighbors! ;)
    5. You need something to do to occupy your time during the 9 winter months of the Twin Cities:D

Go for it, and enjoy the journey!

brgtr3 likes this.
  3. I took up music when I retired at 65. That was 19 years ago. Always more to learn, just take it in small steps. I'm now 85 and have just stopped gigging out. Enjoyed ever bit of the last 19 years. And look forward to many more years of just me and my instruments. Toying with a cigar box three string guitar right now.

Your instructor will decide what is the best way for you. Just trust your instructor to get you where YOU want to go. Course you gotta help by letting the instructor know what that is....

brgtr3 and DrThumpenstein like this.
  4. @brgtr3
    Hey brgtr3, I see this was a year ago, but hows it going? Did you do the lessons? I'm in Minneapolis also, and right around the same age. I played for many years then kind of gave it up, but I've been wanting to get back into playing again before I get much older! :-D

brgtr3 likes this.
  5. brgtr3

brgtr3

Jan 20, 2019
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hi HH! It was only -14 degrees F when I left the house today with my p-bass in hand... I'm practicing with a buddy tonight, and no, I will NOT leave it in the car! And yes, it is going amazingly well. Here's my journey since my original post:

I took 8 weeks of 1-on-1 lessons at Twin Town, and then over the summer another 8 weeks of 1-on-1 with Jason Fladager (a founding member of The Big Wu, if you're familiar with them). And I've played publically twice with a Community Ed group at Tuttle's in Hopkins, and will likely do it again in early March (either at Tuttle's or at Whiskey Junction). My fingering and playing technique are getting much better, and I actually have some calluses now! Playing with others has been the best learning experience, IMHO.

I ended up buying a '17 Fender American Pro P-bass, and then found an '81 Fender Bullet bass in mint condition (the Bullet stays at the cabin so I don't have to haul the P-bass back and forth all the time). And a couple weeks ago I ditched the Traynor amp and got a Phil Jones BP-400 amp with a C4 cabinet. I fell in love with the PJB amps when I earlier got a Phil Jones Double Four amp for the cabin.

Suffice it to say, taking up the bass was one of the best decisions I've made in a heck of a long time! Retirement is roughly one year away and I now have something to look forward to that will be incredibly fun and challenging to do! Now I just need to find a small group/band to jam with on a regular basis, and hopefully take the next step towards more gigs.

The journey continues! Get back into it, you won't regret it... and if you are interested in lessons with Jason, PM me and I can get you in contact with him. Keith My basses.jpg Jamming at Tuttles.jpg Bullet bass and amp.jpg PJB amp.jpg

6. Malcolm35

Malcolm35

Aug 7, 2018
    Sorry about the GAS, however now is the time to get all your stuff, because when you retire your hobby budget also goes on retirement.

Good luck, you are going down the right road, enjoy.

brgtr3 likes this.
  7. brgtr3

brgtr3

Jan 20, 2019
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yeah, the GAS is bad... in fact, just ordered and received an MXR M85 distortion pedal. Haven't tried it yet, but it will get it's first trial run tomorrow. Can't wait!