Greetings from Catalunya

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Barbablanca, May 28, 2012.

1. Barbablanca

Barbablanca

May 28, 2012
    Picked up bass again after an age.... My beard has now turned white since I last took fat strings seriously - hence the name of my avatar (White Beard).

Long story, but a friend from Amsterdam, who plays double bass, was coming to visit me, so I asked another friend who is the bassist for local Rockers "Black Kiss Superstar"(*) if he could lend me his fretless for a couple of days. He did so, but was in no hurry to get it back. So I started messing around on it and .... soon fell in love with it.

The only thing I didn't like so much was that it was a standard scale 34" and I only have short arms. So I went hunting for a short scale fretless. Plenty available in the USA, but not so many in Europe here. Eventually found a ridiculously cheap semi-acoustic (solid build Chinese job) and I decided to risk the $80 it cost. I figured that if it was a piece of cr**, but the neck was OK, I could always use the neck to convert my fretted bass the easy way (bolt off the old / botch on the new). In the end it turned out to be playable and quite loud. The action is quite high, but once it has settled I'll see a friend who is a local luthier and ask him to adjust it for me.

So here I am hoping that this old dog will be able to learn a lot of new tricks here. Already impressed and I've only dipped my toe in these vast waters here.

Hope to see you around,

Berni (Barbablanca)

(*) I know - no English speaking band would have called themselves that... But they're Catalan speakers wanting to look cool with an English band name :rollno: )

2. Welcome(back). :D

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021