1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Greetings

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by detracti, May 6, 2006.

1. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    The note up top there said to come over here 'n introduce myself.

So ... "Hello to Talkbass.com". I'm an "old guy" who only started playing bass about nine years ago... so this is a relatively new thing for me.

It was one of those things that I'd thought about doing for years... I took guitar lessons when I was like 11 years old... and only got so far, and frankly, got bored and frustrated w/ trying to quickly move between G7, C and D chords.

So one day, a friend of mine who'd just started playing drums in a band, asked me if I'd like to come over & sit in when their bass player wasn't available... and that was it... I was hooked.

Sooo I bought myself a used Washburn bass, and a cheap little Kustom practice amp... and over the last nine years I've been in and out of four bands... starting out in a pop/rock cover band... which was followed by a summer in a jam band where we played these five-hour marathon outdoor jam sessions out of this guys garage out in the boonies for a handlful of weekends... to a brief bit in a Jazz band... which was fun at first, but I tired of quickly... to a Metal all originals band, which is where I played my first club gigs... to where I'm at now which is in a hard rock all-originals power trio with the very drummer who got me hooked in the first place, and a guitar player we'd mutually met a few years earlier. My band is Manik:

http://www.manik.us

Its really a great gig... I've been with them for over three years now, and we're nowhere near bored... we all actively participate in the songs that we write... we all bring ideas both in lyrics and music, and we work together in a very collaborative way. None of us are prima-donnas, and the ideas just bounce around the room... its really something, having been in several bands, and auditioning in several more, that I consider incredibly rare.

So... hello board.

-J