Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Greg Howard Chapman Stick gigs in NYC and VA

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Veej007, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Veej007

Veej007

Sep 6, 2004
    Tonight, Greg will be playing solo at the Tribeca Rock Club in New York. Details are here: http://www.greghoward.com/events/2409/

Upcoming Virginia shows:

Sept 13 - Miller's in Charlottesville, Virginia (solo)
    Sept 16 - West Main in Charlottesville, Virginia (with drummer James McLaughlin)
    Sept 27 - Miller's in Charlottesville, Virginia (solo)

...and a video clip that might be of interest
    http://www.eyeoncville.com/005/005vid02.htm

Having been to many of Greg's performances myself, I can vouch for this video. This is brain-scrambling technique is precisely what you can expect to find at his solo shows, so come check them out if you get a chance.

Most of you guys have probably heard of the Stick already, but for those that haven't, it's like a blend of bass, guitar, and piano that's been optimized for Wooten-esque two-hand tapping. Check out www.stick.com if your mind isn't already sufficiently boggled by the video above.

2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Anyone even remotely close to the area should check this out. I've had the pleasure of seeing Greg both solo and with his band (which is much more rare, as it's an expensive proposition to bring the 3 members over from Europe) and have my jaw drop all three times. Besides his formidable talent on the Stick (some say second only to inventor Emmett Chapman), his ability to split coordination between his two hands, his jamming and "reinventing" musical ability (I've seen him play songs recorded with the band on CD played differently with the band live, and differently again solo) and his tonal ability is second to none.

I've love to be able to purchase a Stick one day. It's people like Greg that have me alternate between "Why bother?" and "If I could develop 1/8th of that, it's worth it." :eek: