Greg Ridley's Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ImSquare17, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Hello all, sorry if this has come up before, did several searches and couldn't find anything, so here's my question: What amp did Greg Ridley use for Humble Pie's Rockin' the Fillmore? Any info will be appreciated, even just good guesses, which head? what cabs? what brand? speaker sizes? Thanks guys!
  2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    IIRC, he used Hiwatt gear. He had a great sound on the Smokin', and Rockin' the Filmore albums. Greg Ridley was (still is) one of my favs. RIP.
  3. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Greg Ridley! God rest his soul. A great bass player & a a good voice to boot!

The only pix I've seen of him with an amp looks like an Acoustic 360, but I'm not sure.
  4. Thanks for the info guys! As you may have guessed, I'm asking because I want that Greg Ridley sound, so any more info would be greatly appreciated!

I have heard that he used Hiwatt stuff, and I've seen the pictures of him playing through the acoustic 360, but does anyone know which setup he used to rock the fillmore? Thanks!

BIGREDSIX Supporting Member

FWIW - I seem to remember seeing him play using Marshall stuff....
  6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I was at that show[I'm old], he played his P-bass into the Acoustic 360, he might have had two cabs. That was the year I took up bass, and Greg Ridley was one of my many early heros. A few months back on a rainey day I went and dug up my Humble Pie/Spooky Tooth CDs/LPs and really rediscovered Ridley's playing...still sounds great! I love these threads!!
  7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Say, could you guys recommend one or two albums that best showcase Ridley's bass sound and style? Thanks!
  8. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Rockin' The Fillmore, Smokin (especially "Hot-n-Nasty") show off Greg's style very nicely. He was a fine player and one of my first influences. One of my old bands always played "Stone Cold Fever". R.I.P. Greg!
  9. Jerry you were really at that show?! :eek: :eek: wow! I am so jealous and happy to have heard from you! That is so cool, plus you gave me the exact info I needed! Thanks a bunch!

Those are the exact two albums I would recommend also. Greg was the bassist I wish I could be, and a stand up fellow.
  10. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

He is also one of my all time favorites....

great rock bassist with an amazing voice....

Check it out here

Rockin The Filmore is a classic.....
  11. One last thing, his cabs, were they the 1x18? or the 2x15? I see they're acoustic's also, but which? Looked like 301's to me... thanks!
  12. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I recall Greg using 2 Acoustic cabs on the farewell tour. Not sure what models they were, but his sound was amazing.
  13. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    They where the 1/18s
  14. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Just a quick line to admit to Greg Ridley, particularly Rocking the Filmore ,having a big influence on my early playing. Grand Funk was another band that made me reach for my bass. :)
  15. Hallelujah Chorus Tour, Madison WI, opening for The Grateful Dead Greg's line was the aforementioned Acoustic 360 and a pair of 1x18" cabs. That and the P-Bass.
    Nice greasy lines.
    vistacruiser likes this.
  16. Thanks to everyone that replied, espescially you Jerry! I'm so happy to know exactly what was used for that show!
  17. zerofrets

Apr 25, 2009
    I saw Humble Pie at the Syndrome in Chicago back in 1970 or '71. They were the opening act for Grand Funk Railroad. I was most impressed with the bass sound, and I remember that Greg was playing a P-bass through an Acoustic 360 (preamp head) and 4 powered cabinets (18 inch folded horn). The remarkable thing was that there was no reinforcement for the bass through the sound system. This four cabinet system rocked the hall (which used to be the Chicago Coliseum). Soon after I bought an Acoustic 360, as Greg Ridley was one of my bass heroes.
  18. jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    I grew up in lower Manhattan and was at lots of Fillmore shows: always loved original Small Faces and the Pie. I too was at those concerts ( I'm just as old:D). I think he used the Acoustic stuff here and the Hiwatt amps in England.
  19. Prof.Dr.Metz

Prof.Dr.Metz Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Long Island NY
    That's why the bass sounded so good, no incompetent soundmen to screw it up.
    Don't laugh, but i had Rockin' The Fillmore on 8-track, used to listen to it cranked in my '72 mach 1. (around 1980 though, :D) i'm not that old. ;);
  20. thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    I know that he was one of my main influences as a kid learning the bass. Great player. I don't know how many copies of Rockin' The Fillmore I went through, as that album got lots of playing time on my crappy turn table back then. He made me want an Acoustic rig real bad too.