1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

grey stache... what next? calling fuzz connoisseurs!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Flymo Wang, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Flymo Wang

Flymo Wang

Jan 5, 2011
    Bristol, UK
    OK, so i know i like muff-based fuzzes, and after trying half a dozen different muffs i've finally found the grey stache, which i'm loving :)

my question to all the fuzz connoisseurs here on TB is this - what do folks think a second fuzz to nicely compliment the stache would be? I'm after top suggestions for a fuzz that is voiced differently enough to a muff to be worth having both....i know you can 'never have enough fuzz' ;) but if you had to have just two, a muff plus one, what would you plump for? personal preference is maybe towards the non-gated fuzz too...

if it makes a difference, I'm playing passive precisions and jazzes through an old fender bassman into a 4x12...

cheers all!

2. tink9975

tink9975

Aug 10, 2006
    MoCo, MD
    Iron Ether Oxide, synthy fuzz, but you can control the character from gated to octave/brassmaster-ish fuzz with the Morph knob. I keep it in the octave range.

3. Have you checked out the iron ether oxide? It's different enough to justify two fuzzes. Not that you need to justify having multiple anything on talkbass :)

4. Flymo Wang

Flymo Wang

Jan 5, 2011
    Bristol, UK
    yeah, i think the oxide will make the short list, seems to be able to cop a lot of tones from what i've read

5. Rawrrbass

Rawrrbass

Mar 19, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Not surprised to see an Oxide listed here. The ss/bs Team Awesome Fuzz Machine is pretty rad as well. I highly recommend getting one with the gate mod.

6. ZanaZulu807

ZanaZulu807

Aug 6, 2007
    The Team Awesome Fuzz Machine is one I have to check out, always hearing great things. Aside from the usual, oh so common Fuzzrocious/Iron Ether name popping up, the Blackout Effectors Musket is a good one that gets some love here from time to time. I would also recommend the Mojo Hand Colossus, but I hear they're almost always sold out, but it's my favorite fuzz pedal yet.

7. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    my top fuzz alternatives:
    Bluebeard
    W+C Tall Font
    Fender Sublime
    Supercollider
    Oxfuzz
    Musket
    TAFM.
    in no particular order... all have something special and are different enough.

8. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Oxfuzz and/or oxide!

9. Flymo Wang

Flymo Wang

Jan 5, 2011
    Bristol, UK
    have to admit the oxfuzz is one i'd not heard of before, but just checked out a couple of videos, it sounds awesome!

10. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Most dudes seem to like it at low gain!

11. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    way huge swollen pickle?

12. Flymo Wang

Flymo Wang

Jan 5, 2011
    Bristol, UK
    that's more than enough to be looking into for a while ;)

oxfuzz and TAFM interesting me the more right now...

13. ZanaZulu807

ZanaZulu807

Aug 6, 2007
    I just put two and two together and realized you're "theiballkid" on YouTube (duh...); should've known you were on TB. You were partly the one who convinced me to get the Sublime and hopefully soon to arrive B3K. I've tested out the B3K before and loved it, but I wanna see if it's really worth the hype of actually keeping it since I already get good overdrive from all the tube rigs I've got. Anyway, good work on the vids man...

14. Flymo Wang

Flymo Wang

Jan 5, 2011
    Bristol, UK
    ha - was about to type the same, was just watching an oxfuzz clip and noticed it was by him too - good work sir!

15. ZanaZulu807

ZanaZulu807

Aug 6, 2007
    Not me, haha... I want HUGE, HUGE, HUGE!!!

Give me a good, flexible, high gain fuzz that will make a rhythm guitarist optional. Low gains good, has its uses, but for me, I just want as much raunch and volume as possible...

16. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Alright, I promise I won't say it again.

Malekko B:Assmaster

:::runs and hides::: :bag:

17. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    It's called chording!

18. Fix'd Fuzz, FTW.
    Whatever I run into the Fix'd sounds awesome.
    Outside toggles up, inside toggles down.
    It's like an awesome clean boost, or you can
    flip the inside (Fuzz) toggles up in combination
    and get awesome fuzz on it's own.
    VERY versatile pedal. Recommended.

S

19. I like the Colorsound Tonebender personally, more smooth and compressed than the GS due to the Ge diodes (although they are an option). I've been hearing that Darkglass is coming out with a fuzz??? On my list is the Smallsound/Bigsound Super Puzzle.

20. fitz420

fitz420 Knows Lows

Oct 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Another vote for the ss/bs tafm. Excellent compliment to a muff.