1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Groove learning

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington [archive]' started by hcah1, Aug 12, 2012.

1. hcah1

hcah1 Guest

Jul 19, 2012
    Hi Anthony,

I have been playing bass for some years now. Nothing serious though, just some gigs and mostly playing for the church.

I have never taken any lessons or any formal music educations, just learning by listening songs and browsing youtube videos (nowadays).

The issue is I have got no problem doing something like song-play along, but when it comes to something solo, like making a simple, enjoyable groove, I found it difficult and frustration sometimes.
    When it comes to put a creative bass-lines in re-arranging a song I find it quite difficult.
    Or let say I come to a music store/ bass store, I have a trouble playing something when I'm test-driving a bass. The bass might sound good, but I just don't know what to play.

Even though I don't play much and not planning to advance my career in the music industry, I love music especially the bass, so I always want to learn and get better just for my personal satisfaction.

Do you have any tips, tricks, techniques, etc... that might be suitable for me?

Does it come down to technical problem that you can practice (scales, modes, etc)?
    If so, where do I need to start?

Or it is something withing me that needs to be trained?
    If so, what do I need to do?

Thank you.

2. bass_study

bass_study

Apr 17, 2012

3. hcah1

hcah1 Guest

Jul 19, 2012
    Thanks for the direction.

You're right, I don't have any theory background.

What does it mean by slash chord? And to be able to transcribe do I need to be able to read, because I can't?

4. bass_study

bass_study

Apr 17, 2012

5. Basshoofd

Basshoofd

Jan 14, 2009
    Netherlands
    Assuming you're going to get a (good) teacher, I would recommend:

-Learning basic theory. All intervals, chord tones (arpeggios) of major chord, minor chord and dominant (7th) chord, major scale and minor scale.
    -Listen to the music you like and figure out what the bass player does. Learn the original bass line, then try to create your own variations.
    -If you've got the basic theory down, learn more! Theory teaches you how music works, why things sound the way they do.

And the most important part is to have fun. If you see it as work, you may get bored or unmotivated. For me, learning something new is like discovering useful secrects. Makes me feel like a kid