1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Grover Tuners Breaking on My Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Terence Adamo, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Terence Adamo

Terence Adamo

Dec 21, 2014
    I have a Traben Array Ltd 5 string bass that I bought new 9 years ago. I just had the FOURTH Grover machine head fail. The shaft separates from the gear. It appears that the shaft is just pressed onto the gear and it is held there by a tiny screw. Grover has been good about sending out replacements each time but I can't tolerate the two week down time. They tell me they never see this problem with anyone but me. I am wondering two things: is anyone else experiencing this problem and does anyone have any idea why this would keep happening or a solution to the problem? I've even added a string hold down between the nut and the tuners (it only holds down the A and D strings) thinking that perhaps the wraps were too high, even though I am careful not to get them high up. Thanks for reading this.

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Is the tiny screw still in position? Pics would help.

Riis

Terence Adamo likes this.
  3. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    If these are like the Gotoh mini tuners (which it looks like they are), that's where they always break. It's not the way you're wrapping your strings. It's the way the tuners are made. The post is held onto the gear with a screw, and then spot welded. It doesn't hold very well (especially on the Gotoh licensed tuners some makers use), and the metal is weak. What should be one piece is two that welded together to make the post. I've had 3 of them break on me, and I am not rough on my instruments.

4. Terence Adamo

Terence Adamo

Dec 21, 2014

5. Terence Adamo

Terence Adamo

Dec 21, 2014
    So they're lying to me, they get a lot of these. They must if you and I have both had it happen. I'll light then up by phone tomorrow. I hate liars.

6. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    The best solution I know of is Schaller tuners. It looks as though the M4 90 may be a drop in replacement.

7. Terence Adamo

Terence Adamo

Dec 21, 2014
    Thank you Kathy. I'll likely take your advice.

8. Terence Adamo

Terence Adamo

Dec 21, 2014

Attached Files:

9. Terence Adamo

Terence Adamo

Dec 21, 2014
    Another view...

Attached Files:

10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Beautiful. They pretty much look like a re-stamped Ping or similar import tuner not the "real deal". Have you shared the photo with Grover? On a more positive note, any Gotoh GB7-esque (3/8") machine should drop-in with no problem. Even the Hipshot lic'd Ultralites would be a huge step-up IMO.

You're on the right track. Keep the string wraps low and check your string contact points (nut slots, etc) for binding issues. You may even want to remove the string retainer as it may contribute to the problem if it creates a too-severe break angle between the nut and tuner post.

Riis

Terence Adamo and 96tbird like this.
  11. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Ultralights. /thread.

12. Terence Adamo

Terence Adamo

Dec 21, 2014
    Thanks for your input. I have not shared them with Grover but you can bet I will. I don't appreciate their attitude on this. If they have an issue with a product, they need to own it.

13. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Turned steel tuner posts: accept no substitutes.

More powder cast crap from China. Warwick has it. Ibanez has it. More and more medium budget instruments and some high end ($1500.00+ are you listening Warwick?) have it. Yeesh.

And 3/8” tuners on a bass yeesh. :roflmao:

Zooberwerx likes this.
  14. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    yuk. that thing was designed poorly. i suggest barking at Grover until it gets out of your system then upgrading. also if there is any wobble as the shaft rotates due to the bushing being loose or cocked in the headstock or the bore being worn, that will cause trouble too. no driving lugs or locating pocket on the gear is a bad move.

15. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    That's exactly where the "licensed by Gotoh" tuners I had broke. Every time. I've never had a real Gotoh break, though. I suggest real Gotoh GB7's, or Hipshot Ultralights.

16. rumourzbass

rumourzbass

Mar 10, 2015
    I just had the same thing happen to me...2 times within a month! I have 2 Traben basses and recently had a Grover tuner fail on each of them. Glad I did this search...thanks for the info!

Lownote38 likes this.