1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GS 112 NT vs. GB NEOX-112T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassn00b11, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Aguilar GS 112 NT

20 vote(s)
    48.8%
  2. GenzBenz NEOX-112T

21 vote(s)
    51.2%
  1. bassn00b11

bassn00b11

Feb 7, 2008
    I currently have a Hartke 410XL (older model, 260 Watts) and I am upgrading my amp to a GB Shuttle 6.0. I want to pair a 1 12" with this cab to add some low end depth. My choice is between these two cabs to do it. Looking to see which of the cabs adds more lows and low mids. Both cabs are 300 watts 8 ohms so they should combine with the 410 XL into a 4 ohm 560 watt load on the 600 watt amp. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Music style varies but is primarily progressive/modern/indy rock.

2. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I love the neoX112. dual neoX112's is the best sounding 215 cabinet I have used. They are thick sounding without being muddy. Just my personal pick.

3. bassn00b11

bassn00b11

Feb 7, 2008
    I actually am following your thread on it and have found the information in there to be very useful. Also watched the vids and that pretty much sold me on the Shuttle. In all honesty my EQ will effect my sound far more than the subtle differences between these two cabs, but I wanted to see what others opinions on them were before making my choice.

4. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    As I state everywhere, the choice really comes down to your preference. I just try to get info out there and videos to help people hear what they can't try. Needless to say check the return to any place you make your purchase so if it doesn't make you happy, you can correct it.

5. bassn00b11

bassn00b11

Feb 7, 2008
    For sure, and I for one thank you Dennis for putting that stuff out there.

Oh and as a side question for you - I checked the specs on the NEOX-112T and it appears to have both Speakon and 1/4 inputs, but don't see if there is any way to hook up extensions on those cabs. My long term goal is to get a 1200 and I was curious if I could run 4 112's or 3 112's and 410 off of it, but I didn't see if there was any way to extend the 12's. Thanks again for your help.

6. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    We have discussed that issue. I want to see dual speakons on these cabinets so it is already being discussed. You can however jump cabinets with 1/4 in cables. The 1200 has dual speakons on the back. So running 2 cabinets won't be an issue. My thought was actually the same as yours which is what made me bring it to their attn. Quad neoX112's driven by a 1200 would be amazing. I don't know if you saw my video of the 1200 driving a single 112 bt 4 would be stupid. I like stupid

7. bassn00b11

bassn00b11

Feb 7, 2008
    Yeah Quad Neo's is the ticket. 1200 watts, 2 ohms from a 1200 watt 2 ohm amp....BOOOOOM.

Lol.

So let me make sure I got this straight, basically you take the dual speakon outs from the 1200 and go into two speakon inputs on 2 of the 112's, then jump those out the 1/4 inch jack into the 1/4 inch jacks on the 2 other 112's? Looks kinda like this:

1200-speakon out-----speakon in NEOX112T-1/4 out----1/4 in on NEOX112t. Do that twice to hook up all four cabs?

8. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    indeed... I think you got it.:hyper:

9. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Both great cabs. If you are looking for mostly low-end extension go for the Aguilar; they come up on the used market for cheap all the time.

10. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    Hey! Am I the only one who reads GS 112 NT as "GS 112 Nipple Torture"??

11. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    too much information:rollno:

12. bassn00b11

bassn00b11

Feb 7, 2008
    Yeah I am. I know Hartke has a bad rap around here, but that old 410 kicks some major butt. The 260 watt rating is very very conservative as I have run it along side someone who had a "300 watt" transporter that felt their cab was better and blown it completely out of the water. I've played a lot of different 410's but none has the clarity or punch of that cab and at 260 watts I've never heard it fart, not once. The new 400 watt ones are ok, the tranporter series isn't even worth comenting on IMO but their older stuff has a unique sound and is well constructed.

My only problem with it is that I need some more bottom end, that one 410 just doesn't quiet get the thump down low I need. So based on price it looks like I will pick up the Aggie for now, then add on 2 112 GB's once I get the 1200 and try running the 410, the Aggie 12 and two GB 112T's.

Also just realized that if I get the regular GS with the tweeter I can have a bass rig under 50lbs...so there's that to consider as well....

13. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Sounds good man, those Hartke 410XLs are great but as you say, they do not have a ton of low-end. If you plan on running a 1200 with multiple cabs (the 1200 does 2 ohms), you'll want to run three 8 ohm cabs.

Personally though, If you plan on getting a 1200, I'd run the 410XL with a GB NeoX212 (or two GB 112Ts). You probably won't need the Aguilar 112 in addition with that setup.

14. madmarvin

madmarvin Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Ontario, NY
    Tis better to have an Aguilar 112 and not need it then to need an Aguilar 112 and not have it, and for the $250 - $300 they are going for used why the hell not....

15. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I posted this several times, but in a direct a/b between a gs112 and the neox 112, the Neox was louder at the same volume settings, and a bit thicker on the bottom. It had a bit more growl and punch. I tested this with a friend by moving the cable back and forth between the two cabinets coming of the same head.

I wouldn't say it was a MAJOR difference, but it was different. The advantage that the gs112 had was that it was slightly smaller. Both are about the same weight.

16. bassn00b11

bassn00b11

Feb 7, 2008
    Silly question maybe, but did you test both with a 410 or just each cabinet individually? I am wondering which one sounds better in a support role to the 410. If you have the cabs, have a 410 lying around, and feel like testing it out let me know the results.

Checking used options the GS 112 is about 75% the cost of the NEOX, sometimes even more. I saw one on sale for $200 bucks...that's just ridiculously cheap.

17. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I tested them individually.

I've used my Neox 112 on top of an Ampeg 410hlf. The 410 was already at the gig, along with an SVT IIIpro. I added the 112 to get something higher up so I could hear better. It worked great, and I can't imagine why a gs112 wouldn't either. As you say, the cost factor is important, and the gs112 is a fine cabinet as long as you like the tone. The Neox will just have a bit more bottom end than the gs112. Still, I don't think either cab is going to give any appreciable low end, not enough to matter with a 410 anyway. The sound will be bigger just because you have a cabinet closer to ear level.

A 410 should be plenty deep on it's own. Are you sure all the drivers are working in your Hartke? Do you know if they are all in phase? If not, that could really cut out some bottom end. If all is well, then perhaps you just aren't happy with the cabinet, and you should consider a different 410. While the Hartke's aren't bad, there are definitely lighter 410's out there that have much more bang and wallop.

If you really want to add a cabinet for depth and bottom, perhaps you should consider something that would go UNDER your 410, either a 115 or a deep 210.

18. bassn00b11

bassn00b11

Feb 7, 2008
    I'm pretty certain that all is well with the cab. Reason I am looking at the 112 is I need more boost around the 100 HZ range, a spot where it seems that the 12's really excel at. The Hartke does go low, but lacks something at that range. I've paired it with a 15 underneath in the past and found that the 15 while adding a ton of low end depth seemed to muddle the upper mid and high mid frequencies. Basically I want the 12 to balance out the lows on the Hartke without taking away from the aggressive tone. I play a 4 string mostly in EADG tuning with some drop D, but not much. If I ever play a 5 or spend more time in D I may look at a Acme Cab, but that is not something I am focusing on right now.

19. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    When did the 112's become available with 15" speakers? :ninja:

20. I don't know how the NEOX112 sound next to the 112 that comes with the 6.0 Shuttle 112 combo, but that thing just slams!!!!

Worth getting the 6.0/112 combo just to have the option of a one piece unit.