Gtr/Piccolo Bass for studio??

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by caesarbass, May 19, 2005.

1. Hey Guys,
    I need your help. I need/want to get either a guitar, strat/tele, or a 5 string bass strung piccolo style, for my little home studio. What do y'all reccomend? I'm using an M-box and Sonar Pro, and I have a ton of plug in's, Native Instruments' "Gtr Rig" is awesome!!!!!
  2. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    A Tele, but I'm a Tele freak. ;)

A MIM Tele or Strat will probably be ok, but much like picking out a MIM Jazz or Precision bass, play a few to find one that sounds and feels good.

NI Guitar Rig is indeed pretty good. I tried out the demo and I was honestly surprised at its sound quality. I would have probably gone ahead and bought the full version if I didn't already have a bunch of gear that already suited my needs.
  3. TELE!!!!!!! I think that that's the way to go, I'm going to go play a few dozen and pick out the one that sounds/plays best. Thanks Kurt!!!!!
    The full blown version of Guitar Rig is really amazing, it's a CPU pig, but as long as you lower the buffers during recording it's OK.
  4. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I too am a bit of a tele nut, so that's the way my vote is gonna go.
  5. I've always liked the sound of a Tele, especially clean through one of those old Fender Reverbs... amazing tone.
  6. MarztekMilita

Feb 10, 2005
    defintly a tele, just the overall look of them is just.....:)
    and just wondering, what is a piccolo bass?
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    A vote here for either a Tele or a Strat, more for a Tele. Why is it that bassists tend to lean towards Teles?

Anyway, a piccolo bass is a bass strung up an octave (tuned like a guitar) and are generally used as midi-basses for better tracking, or to substitute a guitar.
  8. I'm picking up a Standard Tele next week!!!!!! Thanks for the input and votes. Everyone I asked, even guitarists, suggested getting a tele. I can't wait!!!!