1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gtr/Piccolo Bass for studio??

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by caesarbass, May 19, 2005.

1. caesarbass

caesarbass Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Media producer for Nordstrand Pickups, Wilkins Basses, G&L Guitars and Basses, Marco Basses, Tonecraft Audio, Lemur Music. I also run TheBassHang.com and am a dealer for Ulyate Pickups and Colibri Basses
    Hey Guys,
    I need your help. I need/want to get either a guitar, strat/tele, or a 5 string bass strung piccolo style, for my little home studio. What do y'all reccomend? I'm using an M-box and Sonar Pro, and I have a ton of plug in's, Native Instruments' "Gtr Rig" is awesome!!!!!
    Thanks.

2. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    A Tele, but I'm a Tele freak. ;)

A MIM Tele or Strat will probably be ok, but much like picking out a MIM Jazz or Precision bass, play a few to find one that sounds and feels good.

NI Guitar Rig is indeed pretty good. I tried out the demo and I was honestly surprised at its sound quality. I would have probably gone ahead and bought the full version if I didn't already have a bunch of gear that already suited my needs.

3. caesarbass

Sep 21, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Media producer for Nordstrand Pickups, Wilkins Basses, G&L Guitars and Basses, Marco Basses, Tonecraft Audio, Lemur Music. I also run TheBassHang.com and am a dealer for Ulyate Pickups and Colibri Basses
    TELE!!!!!!! I think that that's the way to go, I'm going to go play a few dozen and pick out the one that sounds/plays best. Thanks Kurt!!!!!
    The full blown version of Guitar Rig is really amazing, it's a CPU pig, but as long as you lower the buffers during recording it's OK.

4. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I too am a bit of a tele nut, so that's the way my vote is gonna go.

5. I've always liked the sound of a Tele, especially clean through one of those old Fender Reverbs... amazing tone.

6. MarztekMilita

MarztekMilita

Feb 10, 2005
    Pinole
    defintly a tele, just the overall look of them is just.....:)
    and just wondering, what is a piccolo bass?

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    A vote here for either a Tele or a Strat, more for a Tele. Why is it that bassists tend to lean towards Teles?

Anyway, a piccolo bass is a bass strung up an octave (tuned like a guitar) and are generally used as midi-basses for better tracking, or to substitute a guitar.

8. caesarbass

Sep 21, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    I'm picking up a Standard Tele next week!!!!!! Thanks for the input and votes. Everyone I asked, even guitarists, suggested getting a tele. I can't wait!!!!