1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guidance for a Rig Novice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LuvMusic, Mar 8, 2008.

1. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    TB'ers

I'm getting reeady to purchase my first rig. I recently started playing again after about 20 years away.

Things have changed so much, I thought I'd ask for some help and guidance.

I play mostly in my basement with my 12 and 10 year old sons (one plays guitar and the other plays drums). I do play with friends once in a while. No gigging yet. Also, I'd prefer to buy new, but, I'm keeping an open mind.

I want to spend less than $600.00 (US) and I've done some research here and on the wider web. Here are the alternatives I've identified, up to this point.

Heads:

GK Backline 600 (good reviews)
    Ashdown MAG 300 (good reviews and I like the analog VU meter)
    Nemisis NA320 (refurbished)

These are all about $300.00. And any insight into why there appears to be so many Nemisi NA320 refurbs around?

Cabs:

I tend to like the sound of 2x10's versus 1x15. Here is what I've found in my price range. These run 225.00 - 230.00:

GK 210 GLX
    Ashdown MAG 210T

That's whatI've identified up to this point. What else would you suggest I consider? What are your experiences with this equipment or equipment you would suggest I consider.

Thanks for the help!

2. dmilt23451

dmilt23451

Sep 5, 2007
    Dallas TX
    Well if you would consider going used you could definetly make that $600 stretch alot further...check out cl especially in chicago

3. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    Good suggestion and I've been keeping an eye on CL in Chicago and the listings here. I've haven't found a whole lot yet and when I have, I've been too late! :crying:

Thanks!

4. rudedogg

rudedogg

Mar 23, 2007
    I agree, for the money, used is the way to go. I bought my complete Trace Elliot rig, in great shape, for $550 from an ad in the local paper. Thats the head and two cabs, a horn player had it "layin around". I also found an old Acoustic 370 in great shape for $150, and a GK 115cab for the same money! Keep your eyes open for ads on CL AND your local newspapers. Good deals dont last, so dont think on it too awful long if you see something you like, just give a good inspection, and then negotiate a deal. New gear is great too, but you can triple the value of that $600 if you look around a bit, i think.

5. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    No question here..... If you want to go brand spankin' new:

GK Backline 600
    Avatar B210. (check out the 112 too..... and if you get the cabs in 8ohms, you can an extension later)

This should keep you right at about 600 bucks.

Ljazz

6. psychotiger

psychotiger

Feb 24, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Builder: Moore Custom Guitars
    I, too, returned to bass after switching to guitar for many years. Like you, I have two sons (twins) and one is a drummer while the other a guitarist (and a much better one than I will ever hope to be). I was looking for something manageable regarding weight that had great tone and plenty of punch to get me over the drums and guitar as necessary. I felt like the Ashdown MAG 300 210T was head and shoulders above the rest that I tried in that price range (and I sampled just about every brand out there). If you want to add to the 210 combo, there is an additional line out and an Ashdown 115 cab goes for a little over $200. You won't have any problems jamming with family or friends. Now with the neighbors? That may be different...

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    There's also the new Traynor Dynabass 200 or the Yorkville XM200C combos. Either should come in just under $600 new and you get a good sounding, reliable North American made amp that will handle all your immediate needs and you can add an extension speaker later if you ever have to play any ridiculously loud live gigs. But, by itself you can handle small to medium sized clubs no problem. It also has all the useful goodies like an effects loop, tuning mute, D.I. to go direct to the PA or recording board and a 4 band eq that is effective.

I used the Yorkville model in 2x10" format for about a year for regular gigs. It served me well and even though I could have bought something twice as expensive I wouldn't have gained all that much in tonal improvement.

The Yorkville/Traynor stuff also has an unbeatable warranty although you're unlikely to ever need it.

8. victor6

victor6

Dec 2, 2007
    This is the way I'm going ... seems to be the best bang for the buck.

Victor

9. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    Thank you everybody for your feedback, very helpful!!

I've gotten a couple of new leads to check-out and will do so. The good news is I don't have an immediate need, but, I am going to do something in the next 2-6 weeks.

So, I'll keep watching CL, the classified ads here and researching. Keep the ideas/suggestions coming, I appreciate it!

10. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    Just checked-out the Avatar line....I like it!! On the short list.

Thanks for the help!